Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does Δx mean?

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    So I'm aware that the triangle is uppercase delta which means the difference between: 10[itex]\Delta[/itex]5=5

But what does Δx mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It means the difference between two values of the variable x, between two specified events.

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    It means the change in x. For x(at event 1) = 2 and x(at event 2) = 4 : delta x = 4-2 = 2

5. Sep 26, 2011 #4
    sometimes it is also used to refer to uncertainty in the variable x
    what kind of "uncertainty" depends on the context: experimental, or pertaining to it being defined, ...

6. Sep 26, 2011 #5
    Actually I've never seen that use of it. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it's unusual.

But in elementary math texts, [itex]\Delta[/itex]x means the amount of change in the variable x. For example, the slope of a line is [itex]\Delta[/itex]y/[itex]\Delta[/itex]x, i.e. the change in y divided by the change in x, for any two points on the line.

When you learn calculus, you will see that the instantaneous velocity of an object travelling along the x-axis is the limit of the displacement divided by the elapsed time, [itex]\Delta[/itex]x/[itex]\Delta[/itex]t, as [itex]\Delta[/itex]t approaches zero.

7. Sep 26, 2011 #6
    It's already been answered pretty good. But just to clarify:

[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = x[itex]_{2}[/itex]-x[itex]_{1}[/itex]

or the slope of a function:
    [itex]\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{y_{2} -y_{1}}{x_{2}-x_{1}}[/itex]

Which you'll find to be very similar to the definition of a derivative in calculus:
    [itex]\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}[/itex] which basically means (difference in y)/(difference in x)

Capital delta is looking for a specific answer (most times) while lower case is looking for another equation (most times).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. Sep 27, 2011 #7
    What book would provide me with a quick reference to the use of greek letters in Physics?

9. Sep 27, 2011 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Most symbols have different meanings in different contexts. Pi is one of the few symbols that has a consistent meaning.

10. Sep 27, 2011 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook