What does independently mean for q and Q in canonical transformations?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
aaaa202
Messages
1,144
Reaction score
2
There's a part in my book that I don't understand. I have attached the part and it is basically about how to transform from a set of conjugate variables (q,p) to another (Q,P) while preserving the hamilton equations of motion. I don't understand what he means by q,Q being separately independent. Don't we seek transformation where Q is a function of q. Maybe I'm just not into what he means by this independency.
 
Attachments
  • transform.png
    transform.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 577
Physics news on Phys.org
It's true, but he means that for F q and Q are variables, so that there's no linear dependence between their time derivatives. Such a linear dependence would spoil his argument.
 
Please elaborate. If Q = Q(q,p,t) how is its time derivative independent of q? :(
 
but dQ/dt = [itex]\partial[/itex]Q/[itex]\partial[/itex]q dq/dt + ...
How is that not a relation between them?