I'm putting together a lab report and my result is off from the known value by 1.43 σ. According to the error function tables provided by my prof, and using the error function in my error analysis textbook, that gives me a probability of ~85%. I don't understand what this means though. Will a repeat experiment have an 85% chance of being within my standard of deviation or was there only a 15% chance that my result would be off by this much? The discrepancy between the known value and my experimental value is less than my total uncertainty so I think my result is reasonable.