Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What does it mean if something Transforms Covariantly ? (Quantum Field Theory)

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    What does it mean if something "Transforms Covariantly"? (Quantum Field Theory)

Referring to an isospinor, [itex]\psi[/itex] which transforms as [itex]\psi[/itex](x)→ [itex]\psi[/itex]'(x)=S(x) [itex]\psi[/itex](x) (S(x) being an n by n matrix)

I'm told that it is clear that [itex]∂_{μ}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex] does not transform covariantly.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it would appear that [itex]∂_{μ}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex] ' can be found by the product rule to be S([itex]∂_{μ}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex]) + ([itex]∂_{μ}[/itex]S)[itex]\psi[/itex].

What is meant by that it doesn't transform covariantly?

I know what covariant vs. contravariant indices are, but I don't know what it means for something to transform covariantly. I understand that we *want* a covariant derivative, but I don't understand why =|

Any and all help would be great!

**from Ryder, in case anyone was wondering

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: What does it mean if something "Transforms Covariantly"? (Quantum Field Theory)

I don't a copy of Ryder handy, however I can tell you that [itex] \partial_{\mu}\psi [/itex] does not transform covariantly with respect S(x), because you have another term - [itex] (\partial_{\mu} S)\psi [/itex] - which spoils covariance. If the gradient of psi had transformed covariantly, this extra term would not have been there. Covariant comes from co-variant, in other words, the derivative of the spinor should have transformed like the spinor, i.e. with an identical matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook