What does it mean - No Hyperlink on PF Name?

• Thread starter Ouabache
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about noticing a PF name without a hyperlink associated with it, which typically indicates that the user is no longer a member. The conversation also touched on the topic of banned members and the glitch with registration dates after a server move. The participants also discussed the possibility of adding hyperlinks to previous posts using a grep.
Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I was reading through a thread today and noticed a PF name with no hyperlink associated with it. You know, such that when you select the name it should bring down a menu that says: View Public Profile, Send A Private Messag To ..., Send email to..., Find more posts by..., etc..

What does it mean when there is no hyperlink associated with a PF Name?

I am guessing it means something different from those who've earned the distinction of having a line through their PF name (those who've been shown the door) :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found a few of those searching back through old posts of mine (yes, I'm vain enough to actually read my old posts). They're listed as guests and I'm pretty sure they're people that were banned a long time ago, before the last few upgrades. Don't quote me on that, though.

sounds like an 'orphan' record or something in the backend db. The user has been deleted, but some of the posts remain.

The users from the sci.physics threads show up similarly, but it doesn't say "guest" beneath their name.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What is the member name?
Here is an example.
(in case there is an ambiguity, see message #3)

Last edited:
Ouabache said:
Here is an example.
(in case there is an ambiguity, see message #3)
Oh, you're really digging through the archives. Those are posts by people who are no longer members, some by request, some by banning. That's how previous versions of the forum software displayed the usernames of no-longer-existing members. In more recent posts since the forum upgrade, that shouldn't be happening.

Moonbear said:
Oh, you're really digging through the archives.
Actually I wasn't digging, I found the same user as I read a thread about the etymology of our PF names.

Ouabache said:
Actually I wasn't digging, I found the same user as I read a thread about the etymology of our PF names.
Yeah, that particular former member requested his membership be terminated when he moved away somewhere out of the country. :frown: Banned members used to show up the same way.

I miss Boulderhead. :frown: He's in some remote part of Central America, I think.

Ouabache said:

That was a pretty old thread, no? Wasn't it started about two years ago?

scott1 said:

Thanks scott1, you're right "on topic", It's another good example of the missing hypertext. I see those posts were made this year.

MoonBear said:
That's how previous versions of the forum software displayed the usernames of no-longer-existing members.
Hmmmm, were we using old forum software this year?

Evo said:
That's an odd one, he has no profile until 2-18-06.
I see what you mean.. Hmmmm, I wonder if his previous posts can be tied in, using grep or something

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouabache said:
I see what you mean.. Hmmmm, I wonder if his previous posts can be tied in, using grep or something
Wait if he did use that would that be breaking the PF gobal guidelines.

Ouabache said:
Hmmmm, were we using old forum software this year?
No, it doesn't make sense for more recent posts, just the older ones. That's a really weird one. His later posts look normal, but somehow his registration date is after his first post. When did we move to the new server? That's my best guess is that there was some glitch with the move that reset his registration date. He's still an active member, so maybe he'll feel his ears getting warm and come find out what we're saying about him, and have something that might help explain what happened.

Moonbear said:
When did we move to the new server? That's my best guess is that there was some glitch with the move that reset his registration date.
It would of been more members then one. I think we should ask him.

scott1 said:
Wait if he did use that would that be breaking the PF gobal guidelines.
Huh :confused:

I was referring to if an administrator was feeling ambitious and wanted to add hyperlinks to previous posts of an existing member (for the sake of completeness), using a grep may facilitate the process.

loseyourname said:
That was a pretty old thread, no? Wasn't it started about two years ago?
I believe it was linked to somewhere in the recent thread on the same topic.

1. What does it mean when there is no hyperlink on a PF name?

When there is no hyperlink on a PF name, it means that the name does not have a clickable link associated with it. This could be due to several reasons, such as the name not being recognized as a valid link or the link being broken or removed.

2. Can a PF name still be valid without a hyperlink?

Yes, a PF name can still be valid without a hyperlink. The hyperlink is simply a clickable link that directs to additional information or resources related to the PF name. However, the name itself can still be valid and serve its purpose even without a hyperlink.

3. How can I find more information about a PF name if there is no hyperlink?

If there is no hyperlink on a PF name, you can try searching for the name on a search engine or database to gather more information. You can also reach out to the source or author of the document or website where the PF name is mentioned to inquire about the lack of a hyperlink.

4. Is it common to see no hyperlinks on PF names?

It depends on the context. In some cases, it may be common to see no hyperlinks on PF names, especially if the document or website is not digitally interactive. However, in other cases, it may be unusual and worth investigating the reason for the lack of a hyperlink.

5. What should I do if I come across a PF name without a hyperlink?

If you come across a PF name without a hyperlink, you can either ignore it or try to gather more information about it through other means, as mentioned in the previous questions. If the PF name is important or relevant to your research or work, you can also consider reaching out to the source or author to request for a hyperlink to be added.