What does it mean to "minimise" an action ?

• Thread starter Clueless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, an action is a functional in which each function has a value assigned to it. When trying to figure out what minimization means, one understands it as finding the true path of the principle of least action. However, this does not make complete sense - if the true path is the path where the action is minimised MOST, what about the other paths? They can be minimised as well, right? S (trial) = S (true ) + some terms l x(t)^2 l according to my lecturer in classical mechanics. So if S (trial) is S (true), than those terms on the far right need to disappear, right? But what if they can't disappear because we have a false path
Clueless
This is with regards to the principle of least action.

I understand that an action is a functional (a function where functions have values assigned to them, I believe?)

When trying to figure this out, I understood minimising as finding the true path of the principle of least action. But that does not make complete sense - if the true path is the path where the action is minimised MOST, what about the other paths? They can be minimised as well, right? S (trial) = S (true ) + some terms l x(t)^2 l according to my lecturer in classical mechanics. So if S (trial) is S (true), than those terms on the far right need to disappear, right? But what if they can't disappear because we have a false path? How (or can we) minimize the action still?

As you can see, I am very confused about the meaning of "minimising" the action. Mathematical explanations would be helpful as much as conceptual ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it this way - out of all the paths that a system can take, there will always be one where the action change will be the lowest (stationary, if you wish) compared to all other paths.

Let's look at a simpler example first - the Euclidean geodesic problem (in 2D).
##ds^2= dx^2 + dy^2##
$$s=\int_{x_1}^{x_2} \sqrt {1+ ( \frac {dy}{dx})^2 } dx$$
Now this is an integral. Out of all the functions ##f(x)=y##, there will be one that will serve as an extremizer to this integral (the shortest distance ##s## between two points). In this case, you can use Euler-Lagrange equations to calculate the function, which turns out to be of the form ##Ax + B## , which is nothing but a straight line (a minimizer).

The PLA states that for a system, you can construct a Lagrangian function ##L## which will depend upon time, the generalized coordinates in which the system is described, and the first order derivatives of each generalized coordinate with respect to time.
So the lagrangian is ##L(t, q(t), \dot q (t) )##. PLA states that a system always takes a path for which $$ \int_{t_1}^{t_2} L (t, q(t), \dot q (t) ) dt = 0 $$
which is analogous to the example above (an integral is being minimized)

For conceptual clarity, remember that we're not taking a particular path and trying to make its action stationary - instead, we're basically "searching" in the "bag" of all paths (infinite paths, really) for one which has stationary action. There are various "tools" that we can use for searching, and in most cases, we get the result directly.

Last edited:
Likes Clueless and Simon Bridge
[PWiz beat me to it...]
The action is a box with an input and an output - it takes a trajectory or path as an input and spits out a number.

Different trajectories get you a different number.

You cannot minimize the action for a single trajectory - it's just one number so it is already a minimum.
Instead, you have to find the trajectory whose action changes the least for nearby paths.
You'll get it after you've done a few examples.

Likes Clueless
Thanks a lot for the clarification!

I was just confused because a fellow student told me to "minimise" a false path - which just threw me off .

Clueless said:
Thanks a lot for the clarification!

I was just confused because a fellow student told me to "minimise" a false path - which just threw me off .
Actually, that is the mainstream approach that is taken when the Euler-Lagrange equations are derived - you take a path which is slightly different from the path which extremizes the integral of F:
##F=u(x) + ε η(x)## where ##ε## is a small, real parameter and u(x) is the extremizer that we want to find. We then differentiate the integral with respect to the parameter and then set the parameter to 0 (some prefer using a limit, but it unnecessarily complicates matter), so that the derivative can have a turning point. η(x) must satisfy certain boundary conditions and the final result is obtained using the fundamental lemma of calculus of variation, but the math is not the main point here :)

PWiz said:
Actually, that is the mainstream approach that is taken when the Euler-Lagrange equations are derived - you take a path which is slightly different from the path which extremizes the integral of F:
##F=u(x) + ε η(x)## where ##ε## is a small, real parameter and u(x) is the extremizer that we want to find. We then differentiate the integral with respect to the parameter and then set the parameter to 0 (some prefer using a limit, but it unnecessarily complicates matter), so that the derivative can have a turning point. η(x) must satisfy certain boundary conditions and the final result is obtained using the fundamental lemma of calculus of variation, but the math is not the main point here :)

Wow... I must be very lost :wideeyed:

But thanks for the extra clarification! This is starting to make even more sense now!

Likes PWiz
Clueless said:
Wow... I must be very lost :wideeyed:

But thanks for the extra clarification! This is starting to make even more sense now!
Hehe, just focus on my first post and wait for your teacher to start with the math. You'll get to it eventually, so fasten your seat belts until then and understand the concepts first (trust me, once you get used to Lagrangian mechanics, it will appear to be as easy and natural to you as Newton's laws) :wink:

1. What does it mean to "minimise" an action?

"Minimising" an action means to reduce or decrease the impact or significance of that action. It involves finding ways to make the action less harmful, damaging, or disruptive.

2. Why is it important to minimise actions?

Minimising actions is important because it helps to mitigate negative consequences and promote more responsible behavior. It can also lead to more efficient and sustainable practices, resulting in long-term benefits for individuals and the environment.

3. How can we minimise actions in our daily lives?

There are many ways to minimise actions in our daily lives, such as reducing energy and water consumption, using public transportation or carpooling, recycling and properly disposing of waste, and choosing sustainable products and packaging. We can also educate ourselves and others about the impact of our actions and make more conscious choices.

4. Can minimising actions have a positive impact on the environment?

Yes, minimising actions can have a significant positive impact on the environment. By reducing our consumption and waste, we can help conserve natural resources, decrease pollution, and mitigate climate change. Small actions from individuals can add up to make a big difference.

5. Are there any challenges to minimising actions?

Yes, there can be challenges to minimising actions, such as convenience, cost, and social norms. It may require changes in behavior and habits, which can be difficult for some. However, with education, awareness, and support, these challenges can be overcome and minimising actions can become a part of our daily routine.