What does my distilled water contain

• Thread starter Mniazi
  • Start date
I had this distilled battery water, it fizzes when I throw it on rock and it turns copper hydroxide into a greenish solution. does it have hydrochloric acid?

Answers and Replies

I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

When you say battery water, are you talking about the liquid that is inside of a lead-acid battery? That is a mixture of distilled water and battery acid (sulfuric acid, H2SO4)

Copper Hydroxide [ Cu(OH)2 ] reacts with diluted Sulfuric Acid [ H2SO4 ] to form water and Copper Sulfate [ CuSO4 ].

Edit: Though, why it's green I couldn't tell you...I'm not super good with chemistry, but this reaction is pretty much the way to create Blue Vitriol.

Last edited:
Battery "water" is sulfuric acid (H2SO4).
It turns green when it reacts copper hydroxide because copper (II) ions are blue in solution.
From the reaction that should occur:
Cu(OH)2 (s) + H2SO4 (aq) = CuSO4 (aq) + H2O (l)
Copper (II) sulfate should be produced. In solution, this is a deep blue color. The fact that it is green as opposed to blue means that there is something else in your H2SO4 that the copper is forming a complex with. For instance, in citric acid, copper (II) ions form a light green complex. So, you've got H2SO4 with some sort of contamination. I'm not sure what it could be.