What does the order of unity mean in l' = l + αa?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Warr
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 23K views
Warr
Messages
119
Reaction score
0
While reading a physics text, I came across an equation
[tex]l' = l + \alpha\,a[/tex], where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the order of unity. What exactly does this phrase mean (ie if I knew l and a, what would [tex]\alpha[/tex] be?)
thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Warr said:
While reading a physics text, I came across an equation
[tex]l' = l + \alpha\,a[/tex], where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is the order of unity. What exactly does this phrase mean (ie if I knew l and a, what would [tex]\alpha[/tex] be?)
thanks

Guess what was written was " is of order unity", no ?

It means that [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a number that is not very far from 1, say 2 or 3 or so. Not 12352.0 and not 0.00002345.
 
Yes, that is exactly what was written.
so if I am doing a calculation based on this statement, what could I give the value of l' to be assuming I knew the precise values of l and a?