Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Does Your Post and Like Count Say About You?

1. Dec 14, 2016 #1

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Post count. "Like" count. What are your best explanations about what they say about you (and other PF members)? This isn't serious, it's just a silly little game. Anything goes. I'll start:

Multiply your like count by 100 and then divide it by your post count. This is the number of lovers you've had.

##\frac{\log(Post Count)} {\log(Like Count)}## rounded to the nearest whole number = Number of times you'll win the lottery in your lifetime. (Only once for me :cry:)

##Post Count * e^{-6} =## chance that you've posted too much and should stop now. (I'm at 42.96%)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2016 #2
    Anyone whose post count divided by their like count equals pi wins. Period.

4. Dec 14, 2016 #3

Borek

The results are skewed, old regulars have plenty of posts from times when there were no likes.

5. Dec 14, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Yep.

6. Dec 14, 2016 #5

Borg

Gold Member

60? That equation is definitely off. :oldtongue:

7. Dec 14, 2016 #6

strangerep

Science Advisor

Heh, for guys at least, I'd suspect that ##(posts \times likes)## on PF has an inverse relationship to the number of girlfriends you've had. :cry:

8. Dec 14, 2016 #7
    PF is the only girlfriend you need. :smile:

9. Dec 15, 2016 #8

strangerep

Science Advisor

Ahem,... have you been interfering with your computer's ethernet port again?

10. Dec 15, 2016 #9

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PF is my girlfriend? I'm going to have to erase my browser history.

Again.

11. Dec 15, 2016 #10

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Probably that I must be an unhelpful harlot on here. I really dislike my like count being displayed. Not that I don't appreciate getting likes, because I do. An assumption could be that I didn't earn my likes by being helpful and working hard on here, but could be attributed to something else.

12. Dec 15, 2016 #11

fresh_42

... those eyes ...

13. Dec 16, 2016 #12
    Yeah same, 60 is much lower than in reality.. :oldtongue:

14. Dec 16, 2016 #13
    The bribe money? I haven't told any..oops

15. Dec 16, 2016 #14

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, I can assure you that in my particular case it most definitely IS attributable to something else. The "likes" USED to be "thanks" which was a MUCH more meaningful thing but Greg insisted (over my vehement but useless protestations) on changing it to "like", I guess so we'd be more like Facebook.

So now we have a situation where, for example, @Drakkith , @PeterDonis , and I all have about the same number of "likes". BUT ... They have them because they are in fact very helpful and are constantly giving people (including me) useful information. I have them largely because people sometimes find my smart-ass remarks amusing. Their "likes" and mine just aren't counting the same thing at all and I knew that would happen when Greg changed "thanks" to "like".

16. Dec 16, 2016 #15

jim mcnamara

... Just gave a @phinds a like, for exactly the reason he cited. :-p A kind of recursive like, if you like.

For myself, when I post a joke in the general discussion thread on lame jokes I get way more likes for one post than I do for dozens of more serious posts that each take time to research and set up. Not sure what that means. ... Don't know what I'm doing? Lame jokes are of more benefit? So is Paul (phinds) correct, the function of a like is what the crowd dictates by usage, and not what the forums admin wants it to be?

17. Dec 17, 2016 #16

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

But I think it IS what @Greg Bernhardt wants it to be ... a Facebook-like "like". We had this conversation back when he changed it from "thanks".

18. Dec 17, 2016 #17
    I just liked your post out of spite. Take that!

19. Dec 17, 2016 #18

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, that happens all the time :-p

You probably would not have done that if it had been a "thanks" button

20. Dec 17, 2016 #19
    I like likes. (Did it again! )

I don't have Facebook anymore, but I do think the idea of "likes" as well as +1s (on Google+) were a good idea.

I think the idea is that you want to acknowledge a post and it's content whether something further needs to be added or not.

It's a nod, an approving grunt, an "I get ya."

Get me?

21. Dec 17, 2016 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I get you, but my point is that this ISN'T Facebook, it's a serious science forum and I believe "thanks" means "thank you for the help" which is what I would like to see when appropriate vs "like" which means exactly what you said it means, nothing more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted