What Does Your Post and Like Count Say About You?

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It's certainly a personal perception on my part, but what I perceived is that random people were "thanking" people without having ever posed any questions. The "thanks," therefore, seemed actually to mean, "Given that someone else, and not me, posed this question, I never-the-less "like" your answer."

I may be an exception but I very often click on "like" for that very reason: I am not the one asking a question and I may not even have participated in the thread but I see someone having taken the time to craft a clear and detailed answer to some question and I want to reward the poster for doing that.

Likes Evo and BillTre
I may be an exception but I very often click on "like" for that very reason: I am not the one asking a question and I may not even have participated in the thread but I see someone having taken the time to craft a clear and detailed answer to some question and I want to reward the poster for doing that.
Not sure why you think you'd be exceptional. That's the purpose of the "like" button: to express approval.

Evo
Mentor
I just liked everyone.

Now I need a big juicy Hardees Cheeseburger, it's going to be -3F tonight, and it snowed,and I don't feel well, and my pain doctor is insane and she's killing me (for the record).

Last edited:
Likes SammyS, Fervent Freyja and BillTre
Evo
Mentor
OMG, so I went to feed the dogs, and the dog food bag split open and now I have 15 pounds of dog food on the floor and I can't bend over (thank you psycho pain dr). The dogs just looked at me like, "well, this is different". :oldcry: Oh, and it's on the carpet.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
OMG, so I went to feed the dogs, and the dog food bag split open and now I have 15 pounds of dog food on the floor and I can't bend over (thank you psycho pain dr). The dogs just looked at me like, "well, this is different". :oldcry:
Evo, I'm really sorry to hear about your pain but your comment about the dogs really cracked me up.

Evo
Mentor
Evo, I'm really sorry to hear about your pain but your comment about the dogs really cracked me up.
They're not touching it, they've come into the bedroom, they think it's a trick.

Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
I have them largely because people sometimes find my smart-ass remarks amusing. Their "likes" and mine just aren't counting the same thing at all and I knew that would happen when Greg changed "thanks" to "like".

A "funny/I get your joke" button, in addition to a "thanks" and "like" button would be great options to have on here. Humor is important. But, I don't think the majority of your likes are because of others being amused, even meanies can be helpful. It's always nice and helpful to meet others that are passionate about science, you do have that going for you... I don't like facebook either, but I guess that experience is dependent upon a persons friends list. Some people may have awesome friends with similar interests, facebook would be appealing to me in that case.

I use the like button for many reasons, even as a 'thanks' or to let a poster see that I recognized they replied to me. Zoobyshoe noted that people could actually respond in those cases, but some people may not want to take the thread away from the OP or cause a topic change. Unless I'm upset with someone then I will at least click like to show that I got the message.

... those eyes ...

... serve as a useful deterrent against possible annoying males. Women with makeup are found to be more intimidating. I like to aggravate folks too much... :biggrin: