What Drives a Self-Proclaimed Uber Nerd in Academia and Gaming?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trantor
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
42 replies · 6K views
binzing said:
I got the pic on my computer, now I just need to upload it...

That certainly appears to be the same species that I used to catch, but we never saw one even close to that size.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are my favorite fish: brook trout. I'd rather get slapped with a guppy, though. Some of these guys were pretty hefty. I normally throw back most fish, taking home only enough to keep my wife happy and supportive of my fishing habit. I had fished this pond a week earlier, and found some pretty unique caddis flies zipping around laying eggs. I modified some of my existing flies and fooled a few fish, but when I got home, I got to work to make some flies that would more accurately depict the naturals. The next weekend was the last weekend for open-water fishing, and a couple of friends and I trekked back into that pond (with a pop-up camper for local accommodation) to catch a few trout. I gave my buddies about 6-8 flies each and told them how to fish them. I caught the 2nd from the left on Friday night, and put him back because his right gill-flap was entirely gone, but he was healed and tough as hell. I called him Gill (duh) and figured that he should spread his genes around. The next morning, I caught him again and figured that he was too stupid to spare again. With him added to the three trout on the right, I was really close to the 7.5# total weight limit, so I decided to keep him and fish catch and release for Saturday and Sunday. A few minutes later, I caught the football on the left and decided that my season was over.

One of my buddies caught a 14" trout and a much smaller one - the other caught a few trout in the 8-12" range. When I told them that I was hanging it up for the weekend, they cursed me. When they got home on Sunday night, they called me on the phone and cursed me some more. BTW, I bought that Apogee blank from a wholesaler and built that fly-rod myself.
trout.jpg
 
Attachments
  • trout.jpg
    trout.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Turbo, ever heard of the fly pattern "San Juan Worm" or similar? Named after our local river, which I live like an 8th of a mile from.
 
I try to use dry fly patterns. The San Juan worm has been outlawed in some tail-waters because it is too damned efficient at fooling fish. My flies are less effective than dynamite, but still fill the bill.
 
Oh yeah, and the San Juan Shuffle...I just got into fly fishing this year, and my neighbor is teaching me. Hey, if you ever make a trip out here to fish this stuff, let me know, I can tell you the places to fish, stay, eat.
 
I think someone is asking to be fish-slapped... o:)
 
Tho~ I'd much rater be schooled! Lemme guess, Kahalu'u beach?
hehe
 
WeLL~ Isn't it about time EVERYBODY got a Hawaiian VacatiON?
;~})

I have BiG plans to go visit my three grown sons in MaRcH...for two weeks. Only problem is they are on Oahu and I'm a Kona girl...i'll have to get to Kona for at least a few days and hit my top ten favorite Kona beaches.

AND Yes (before you ask) JuiCy MaNGos do fall by the roadside for free...and sometimes Avacados too.
 
Last edited:
Andre said:
Maybe we can lease a parrot fish somewhere :rolleyes:

A norwegian parrot fish?