What effect does hydroxylamine have on peroxidase?

• Thread starter my02wrx
  • Start date
In summary, the goal of the lab was to determine the properties of an enzyme in the presence of different pH, temperature, and competitive inhibitors. The sample was taken to measure the absorbance of over a 2 minute interval. The overall goal was to determine whether or not the enzyme was inhibited by hydroxylamine. Hydroxylamine is a chemical that is similar to hydrogen peroxide in terms of its structure and chemistry, so the lab discussed how peroxidase might be inhibited in the presence of hydroxylamine.
my02wrx
Hey all,

I can't figure this out so I joined to ask. What effect does hydroxylamine treatment have on peroxidase activity and why? This is for a lab using a turnip. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done the experiment in lab yet, or is this for a "prelab" quiz or preparation sheet?

1.) If you've done the lab, what's the overall goal of the laboratory exercise? Did you work with the turnip or did you have to prepare some type of sample from a turnip? What kind of experiments did you do with your samples? What quantities did you measure, what observations did you make?

2.) If this is for a prelab activity, does the experiment come with an introduction of some type? (Every lab manual I've seen for lab classes usually has some perfunctory treatment of the background.) Have you read it? If it was something you were asked to find out for yourself, did you exhaust your options (textbooks, online search engines, any additional papers/documents that your instructor may have provided)?

thanks for the response. Yeah I did the lab, I'm doing the lab report now, I created a Derivative Graph and it shows a downward curve (not sure if I did it right) I took the total absorbance over the 2 minutes, subtracted the absorbance value at the first 20 seconds, and then divided by 2. So I'm assuming it decrease because it blocks the active site? Does that make sense?

The lab was Determining the Properties of an Enzyme, we figured out the effect of pH, temperature, and competitive inhibitors on peroxidase(turnip extract)

What did you measure the absorbance of in the experiment? What does that indicate chemically occurred in your sample? Did you plot your absorbance as a function of time or the first derivative of your absorbance as a function of time? What kinds of samples did you run (what components in what amounts)?

You've given us enough information to presume what you did, but for sure.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. Found out that it does decrease.

You're welcome! Sometimes, I've noticed, if I just take a step back and figure out what is the big picture, what did I do, and what are the fundamental components of the experiment, things fall into place.

BTW, If you're asked to discuss a possible chemical/structural basis for decreased activity and/or inhibition of peroxidase by hydroxylamine, think about how the structure and chemistry of hydroxylamine might compare to the structure and chemistry of hydrogen peroxide. Think about how peroxidase carries out its enzymatic chemistry in the context of hydrogen peroxide and how it might be different in the presence of hydroxylamine.

1. What is hydroxylamine and how does it affect peroxidase?

Hydroxylamine is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a reducing agent in biochemical and industrial processes. It is known to react with peroxidase, an enzyme that catalyzes the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen.

2. What are the potential effects of hydroxylamine on peroxidase activity?

The addition of hydroxylamine can potentially inhibit or enhance the activity of peroxidase, depending on the concentration and reaction conditions. It can also affect the stability and structure of the enzyme, which can further impact its activity.

3. How does the concentration of hydroxylamine affect peroxidase activity?

The effect of hydroxylamine on peroxidase activity is dependent on its concentration. At low concentrations, it can enhance the activity by promoting the formation of reactive intermediates. However, at high concentrations, it can inhibit the activity by disrupting the enzyme's active site or denaturing its structure.

4. Are there any other factors that can influence the effect of hydroxylamine on peroxidase?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the interaction between hydroxylamine and peroxidase. These include the pH and temperature of the reaction, the presence of other substances or cofactors, and the type of peroxidase being used.

5. What is the significance of understanding the effect of hydroxylamine on peroxidase?

Understanding the effect of hydroxylamine on peroxidase is important for various reasons. It can provide insights into the mechanism of peroxidase activity and help in designing experiments for its manipulation. It can also have practical applications in industries that use peroxidase for various purposes, such as in the production of paper and textiles.