What Energies Are Involved in Exciting and Ionizing Helium Atoms?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Ecniv
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
i) What is the energy required to singly ionise a ground state Helium atom into the first excited state of the helium ion?

ii) What is the energy required to excite a ground state helium atom into the first excited state of neutral helium?

iii) What is the energy required to doubly excite a ground state helium atom into the first doubly excited state of neutral helium?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Ecniv,

You are expected to show some effort in solving the questions yourself.
 
Ecniv said:
?
Hootenanny said:
You are expected to show some effort in solving the questions yourself.
Let me rephrase, you are required to show some effort in solving the question yourself before we will help you.

What are the concepts involved? What have you tried thus far?
 
Same Problem

Hi

I have the same questions

For i) I know we want to ionise the ground state Helium atom from 1s^2 to the first excited state of the helium ion which is 1s^1 2p^1 I think

So that means we want the original ionisation energy +that to bump it up

but I am not sure what the energy to bump it up would be

using the basic binding energy formula E=(-Z^2 R)/( n^2) doesn't seem to give me a decent value for n =2 and Z=2 and I am not sure how to incorporate sceening charge