f95toli said:
Doors...
Back when I had the Health and Safety introduction at the place where I work I was quite surprised by the fact that they spent so much time talking about doors, mainly about how we should avoid hitting someone in the face when opening one.
The weird thing is that it turns out that the doors ARE the most dangerous "tools" where I work (and I work at a research institute where we handle cryogenic liquids, high voltages/currents, radioactive samples, nasty chemicals etc). The thing is that there are a LOT of doors where I work, whoever designed the building really went to great lengths to reduce the risk of a fire in one of the labs spreading via the corridors. However, this also means that you spend a lot of time opening doors (I have to open 12 doors just walking from from my office to the lab) and when people are in a hurry they tend to just push them open (there are no handles) as fast as they can, meaning loitering in front of a closed door is a really bad idea
So far I have been hit twice, and according to the annual incident report I am not the only one...
Did they put in doors that swing both directions? (You said no handles.)

Fire regulations everywhere I've lived require that doors open out toward the direction of the exit. So, if you have to pull a door toward you when trying to evacuate a building, turn around and go the other way.
But, if they swing both directions, that 1) gives you no hint which way to walk unless you've memorized the building map and 2) makes it completely unpredictable which way a door might swing if you're walking toward it.
As for people who stand and talk too close to doors, one should always open the door with as much force as possible. That way they are thrown clear from the doorway when you hit them and don't become a trip hazard too.

I don't know why people do that, but it seems a lot just stop and stand behind doors to chat. Where I work, for some reason, students seem to stand in the stairwells behind the doors to talk on their cell phones. This I really don't understand, because I think the worst reception is in the stairwell, they're clearly in the way of the flow of traffic in the stairwells, and if they were seeking a place to have a private conversation, I'm not sure that having it travel up all 8 floors is any more private than if they just stepped outside or stayed in the hallway.
By the way, windows in doors are useless when they are that tiny square window placed about 5 ft from the floor...too high for us short people to see through, or be seen through.

A long window near the edge that opens is more useful.