1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics What exactly of the odds of getting a job doing...

1. Sep 8, 2017 #1
    Is it easy to get a job doing research on astrophysics and quantum mechanics?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2017 #2
    You're question is not detailed enough. Neither astrophysics nor quantum mechanics have a lot of jobs available. Most people working in these fields just work from the university they graduated from.

4. Sep 8, 2017 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Easy? Not really. No.

5. Sep 9, 2017 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

No. After they finish their PhD, they usually do a couple of short-term post-doc positions at other universities, then (if they are lucky) they land a tenure-track assistant professor position at yet another university. It would be unusual to continue as a post-doc at the university that you get your PhD from.

6. Sep 9, 2017 #5
    Really? I was not aware. I only know one physicist and they researched at the university they graduated from.

7. Sep 9, 2017 #6
    I don't want to make another thread for this question but what exactly are the odds of being a mathematician with just a masters?

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/math/mathematicians.htm

This sounds very appealing more so than working at a bank with applied math major.

8. Sep 10, 2017 #7
    "Exactly the odds"? Come on man, you should know that is not possible. It depends on your ability, tenacity and luck.

Ill make a guess… based on large populations and not you specifically… 15% of PhDs manage get that kind of job, 66% of grad students dont wash out or quit, 70% of prospective PhD students get in to grad school, 40% of freshman prospective asto/quantum researchers get a BS.

You can multiply those together and get a very small percentage. Of course this is just my guess. But know that most physics grads get jobs outside of physics. A plan b is highly advised.

As for mathematician, it depends on how you want to define it. Doing research? Its probably better to think more along the lines of what you want to do rather than the title.

9. Sep 10, 2017 #8
    Yes. Graduate with a BS in Physics with a 3.7+ GPA and earn in the 80th percentile on the PGRE. You will have a job for 5-8 years as a grad student doing the research you desire. After that? Who knows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted