Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What exists beyond the Universe?

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    I'm sure this is a tired question but I'm curious...if I were able to escape the boundary of the Universe, what would I see? The Universe supposedly resembles a "bubble." So...this cosmic bubble would have to exist within a larger medium, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The universe, finite or not, is unbounded. Absent supernatural powers, it is impossible [and illogical] to view the universe from 'outside' the universe.

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3
    You might assume that our universe is a wave complex bounded by a wave shell (a "bubble") that's expanding in a preexisting medium. You might also make assumptions about the properties of your assumed preexisting medium -- and what you would 'see' if you were "able to escape the boundary of the Universe", ie., if you could view things from outside the "bubble", would be based on those assumptions ... imo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook