What factors should be considered when choosing a field of science?

  • Thread starter Thread starter davidp92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Field Science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
davidp92
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hi all
So I'm having a really hard time choosing to pursue a specific field of science. How did you choose your specialty of science, why did you pursue it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
davidp92 said:
Hi all
So I'm having a really hard time choosing to pursue a specific field of science. How did you choose your specialty of science, why did you pursue it?

Hey davidp92 and welcome to the forums.

For me it was getting exposed to something and then taking it from there.

As an example a friend introduced me to BASIC and I was so amazed I spent most of my free time in high school learning how to program.

I learned about 3D games and that came with a lot of math.

One thing leads to something which leads to something which leads to what I'm doing right now.

I don't know if it was fate or not, but I'm glad that all of these accidents in life have led me to the path I am pursuing now (If all goes to plan I'll graduate with a double major in math next year).
 
davidp92 said:
Hi all
So I'm having a really hard time choosing to pursue a specific field of science. How did you choose your specialty of science, why did you pursue it?
The ultimate strategy would be to go into that field which is going to be experiencing the most growth at the same time you are in your prime. You may need a crystal ball for that.
 
In response to what zoobyshoe said, it's often extremely difficult for anyone to know what they will be doing five to ten years in advance.