1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What foods do you eat before doing math?

1. Dec 16, 2011 #1
    What foods do you eat before doing math? I find that I need to eat a lot of starch to remain focused and alert enough to do math. How about you? Or does it not matter for you? What foods increase your effectiveness when studying, particularly subjects that are mentally taxing, like math, physics, and chemistry?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2011 #2

morrobay

Gold Member

Salmon, because it contains essential fatty acids that are precursors
    for neurotransmitters.

4. Dec 16, 2011 #3
    Thanks for responding! yeah, I try to take fish oil capsules because I've heard that it does help improve brain function.

Do you eat salmon right before studying? And do you notice a significant improvement? Thanks so much

5. Dec 16, 2011 #4
    It doesn't matter much to me. I don't feel that foods increase my effectiveness at maths, physics. I just try to stay well hydrated, drink plenty of water, my mum also tells me to eat plenty of nuts, their supposed to "help my brain"

6. Dec 16, 2011 #5
    Alot of Hamburgers and Pizzas

7. Dec 16, 2011 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not what one eats that is import so much as what one drinks. And that's coffee. A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.

8. Dec 16, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

And a comathematician is a comachine for turning ffee into cotheorems.

So if you want to be a comathematician, then you need to drink ffee...

9. Dec 16, 2011 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Just googled what ffee is...

new_ffee_custom_box.jpg

and

ready_for_summer_ffee.jpg

(Note the logo on the shirt.)

Yep! :smile:

Everything a comathematician needs.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  10. Dec 16, 2011 #9
    For maths I need watercress. I find that when I do physics, it's best if I eat a few mushrooms first, but for chemistry I always need to be full of jellybeans.

11. Dec 16, 2011 #10
    Lots of carbs (pasta, etc) if I'm doing algebra. Red meat before analysis.

12. Dec 16, 2011 #11
    Interesting! I find it is the same for me; I have to eat a lot of carbs or else I can't focus. My mind gets fuzzy. Anyone else has this problem?

13. Dec 16, 2011 #12
    Nothing in the morning. I don't eat anything until the afternoon.

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat in the afternoon either.

14. Dec 16, 2011 #13
    I tend to eat healthy. Every day, that is. Having a habit of eating healthy foods each and every day probably works much better than cramming the 'perfect' food in your my right before practicing math. On the other hand, I have found that eating a lot of junk food right before trying to do something intellectually rigurous, I am much less able to concentrate.

15. Dec 16, 2011 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Closed pending moderation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook