Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What fraction of square matrices are singular?

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    I was wondering what fraction of 3*3 square matrices are singular? I guess if the elements are real then the answer will be vanishingly small.
    If however, the elements are integers, is there a way to work this number out?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think there is any way to get a fraction or percentage. There are countably infinitely many 3x3 matrices with integer entries. And countably many of them are singular. Your "fraction" would be ##\frac \infty \infty##.

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3
    I don't know the answer to the original question, but this statement seems a poor argument that such a fraction cannot be well defined. There is a well defined sense in which half of all integers are even, despite the sets of both integers and even integers being countably infinite.

Admittedly the limits might be a little trickier to handle in this case.

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4
    @kurros: Yeah, if the question is posed as
    'What is the probablility that a given 3*3 matrix with integer entries is singular?" then the answer is either between 0 and 1 or tending to zero.
    It is zero if for every singular matrix, one can find an infinite number of unique non-singular matrices. But I cannot think of a way to prove that.

6. Mar 23, 2012 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

3x3 matrices over a field form a 9 dimensional vector space over that field and singular ones form an 8 dimensional non linear subvariety of degree 3, defined by setting the determinant equal to zero. a lower dimensional subvariety has density zero if the field of definition is algebraically closed. But if you work over a finite field then you can compute the cardinality of both sets and find a fraction. But over the complex numbers, the probability of a randomly chosen 3x3 matrix being singular is zero.

7. Mar 23, 2012 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Bavid.

One suggestion I have for you if you want to pursue this is to first restrict the range to a finite number of cases.

For simplicity let N be a fixed number. Then consider all the 3x3 matrices with 0 < X < N where any element may take on the value of X in your matrix.

From this you can start to get empirical data which might give a pattern for some function of N. From this you could proceed to find a relationship of some sort for N.

I would also suggest that you make use of number theory since for a singular matrix, at least one row has to be a linear combination of the other and I imagine some parts of number theory could help you analyze these kinds of situations since we are talking about linear relationships over say any non-linear relationship.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook