Reduced chi square for few data points

In summary, the conversation discusses making a straight line fit to 8 points with errors using data of x and y values, as well as y_err which represents Poisson errors. The large size of the errors compared to the data spread results in a reduced chi-squared of 0.02, and the speaker is unsure of what to make of this. They also inquire about the accuracy of the y_err estimates and the potential impact of systematic errors. Finally, they ask about the status of previous discussions and whether the help provided was understood.
Malamala
Hello! I need to make a straight line fit to 8 points, with errors on them. The data is like this ##x = [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8]##, ##y=[377.488 691.191 , 1030.319, 1428.801, 1753.884, 2113.065 , 2398.642, 2797.664]##, ##y_{err}=[97.145, 131.452, 160.492, 188.997, 209.397, 229.840, 244.879, 264.464]##. The problem is that the errorbars (which are basically Poisson errors) are a lot bigger than the spread of the data. Hence I end up with a reduced chi-squared of 0.02. Is there anything I can do? The values of the fits are reasonable (given theoretical arguments), but I am not sure what to make out of this small reduced chi-square.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you make a plot ?
Tell us how the data were obtained and what they represent. Especially the ##y_{err}##.
And how can you obtain such unbelievably accurate estimates of ##y_{err}##. Billions of observations, or just mindless copying calculation results ?
Are you aware of the role of systematic errors ?

BvU said:
How are the other threads going ? Long forgotten ?
I'd like to know if you understood the help given in earlier threads, or just lost interest and never reacted any more. I don't mind repeating things, but it should have a reasonable purpose.

Last edited:

1. What is reduced chi square?

Reduced chi square is a statistical measure used to evaluate the goodness of fit of a model to a set of data. It is calculated by dividing the chi square value by the degrees of freedom.

2. How is reduced chi square different from regular chi square?

Reduced chi square takes into account the number of data points and the number of parameters in the model, while regular chi square does not. This makes reduced chi square a more reliable measure for models with a small number of data points.

3. Why is reduced chi square important for few data points?

For models with a small number of data points, regular chi square may result in a high value even if the model fits the data well. Reduced chi square takes into account the limited amount of data and provides a more accurate measure of goodness of fit.

4. How is reduced chi square interpreted?

A reduced chi square value close to 1 indicates a good fit between the model and the data. Values significantly greater than 1 suggest that the model does not fit the data well, while values significantly less than 1 suggest that the model may be overfitting the data.

5. Can reduced chi square be used for any type of data?

Reduced chi square can be used for any type of data as long as the model being tested is appropriate for the data. However, it is most commonly used for data with a small number of data points, such as in experimental or observational studies.