What good is it? << Where did this phrase come from?

• Thread starter Adoniram
  • Start date
In summary: It is just a common expression of skepticism about the value or practical use of something, often used as a challenge to those who defend that thing. It has been attributed to different scientists such as Michael Faraday and I. I. Rabi, but there is no clear evidence of a specific person or event associated with it. In summary, the phrase "What good is it?" or "What's it good for?" is a common expression of skepticism about the usefulness of a scientific discovery or invention.
Adoniram
I often see the phrase "What good is it?" pop up in defending (or attempting to defend) particle physics experiments. Does anyone know who said this, or where this anecdotal story comes from? I've heard conflicting stories about Farraday, or the discovery of the muon or neutrino...

The question is sometimes written "What's it good for?" or "What use is it?"

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there's one person who's said this as it would be common to say when you not sure the invention or whatever has a worthwhile purpose. Sometimes this negativity inspires inventors to continue their quest other times not.

Another more attributable quote is : Something is Not Even Wrong first associated with Pauli of the Exclusion Principle fame for things that are not provable or just plain nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_even_wrong

Likes MalcolmB
J J Thompson, who was credited with the discovery of the electron was reputed to have given the toast: -

"The electron: may it never be of any use to anybody"

How things have changed...

Likes jedishrfu
There is also the quote attributed to I. I. Rabi who, upon the discovery of the muon, a particle that had no role in nuclear interaction, said "Who ordered that?"

Likes Adoniram, Fervent Freyja, MalcolmB and 1 other person
Adoniram said:
I often see the phrase "What good is it?" pop up in defending (or attempting to defend) particle physics experiments. Does anyone know who said this, or where this anecdotal story comes from? I've heard conflicting stories about Farraday, or the discovery of the muon or neutrino...

The question is sometimes written "What's it good for?" or "What use is it?"

Thanks in advance!
This simple question is standard enough as standard English, that it should not really have a special origin.

1. Where did the phrase "What good is it?" come from?

The phrase "What good is it?" is thought to have originated from the Greek philosopher Aristotle, who posed the question as a way to prompt critical thinking and reflection.

2. What does the phrase "What good is it?" mean?

The phrase "What good is it?" is often used to question the value or purpose of something. It can also be used to challenge the usefulness or effectiveness of a particular action or idea.

3. How is the phrase "What good is it?" used in science?

In science, the phrase "What good is it?" can be used to prompt critical thinking and evaluation of research findings or theories. It can also be used to question the practical applications or implications of scientific discoveries.

4. How can asking "What good is it?" benefit scientific research?

Asking "What good is it?" can benefit scientific research by encouraging scientists to think about the potential practical applications and real-world impact of their work. It can also prompt them to consider the potential limitations or drawbacks of their findings.

5. Is "What good is it?" a closed-minded question in science?

No, "What good is it?" is not a closed-minded question in science. It is often used as a way to prompt critical thinking and reflection, and can lead to further exploration and discovery in the scientific process.