What happened to the iconic Maths Tower at Manchester University?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Voltage
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Testing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Voltage
Messages
87
Reaction score
0
One fine day I was going about my business when I heard that the Maths Tower at Manchester University was to be demolished. I was shocked. To me it was an inspirational icon of learning, the thing that put the campus on the skyline, on the map, and on the picture postcards. I used to sit on the seventeenth floor in a class, learning about gates and induction from the likes of Tom Kilburn, godfather of Computer Science. I listened intently with the cityscape before me and Jodrell Bank behind. I learned a lot in that Maths Tower. It shaped my life, it was my beacon. And now it’s gone.

041209-1345-50_std.jpg
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Where is(/was) that tower? Is it just off oxford road? I presume it was knocked down due to the amalgamation of UMIST and the University of Manchester.

(Sorry, I didn't ignore the thread!)
 
Last edited:
You've got to know that the surest way to get a scientist to investigate something is to tell him/her to ignore it. :-p

This could end up being longer than the Thread Killer thread.:rolleyes:
 
Danger said:
You've got to know that the surest way to get a scientist to investigate something is to tell him/her to ignore it. :-p

:smile: I was just curious! :blushing: