What Happens If a Spaceship Exceeds the Speed of Light?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Mr. Paradox
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
I'm not exactly sure but I want to know, what would happen if a spaceship was to exceed the speed of light?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It would turn into pink unicorns. You can't go faster than light to it's an invalid question.
 
Mr. Paradox said:
I'm not exactly sure but I want to know, what would happen if a spaceship was to exceed the speed of light?

The question you asked is comparable to the question "What is outside our universe?”

The question has no meaning. Stephen Hawking compared it to asking, “What is north of the North Pole?".
 
Mr. Paradox said:
I'm not exactly sure but I want to know, what would happen if a spaceship was to exceed the speed of light?

It would be compressed to zero length, its internal time would stop, and it would have infinite mass.

Since these things cannot happen, it should be clear that superluminal speed is not possible.
 
Jack21222 said:
It would be compressed to zero length, its internal time would stop, and it would have infinite mass.

Since these things cannot happen, it should be clear that superluminal speed is not possible.

No, the correct answer was given in the first post.

Thread closed.