What happens if an LLLP goes bankrupt?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
In summary, in a limited partnership, there must be at least one general partner with unlimited personal liability and at least one limited partner with liability limited to their contribution. However, there is a new type of partnership called a limited liability limited partnership where all partners, including general partners, have limited liability. In the case of bankruptcy, creditors may have recourse against the company and its managers for fraudulent actions. In the UK, an administrator is appointed to handle the company's assets once insolvency is declared, preventing partners from hiding assets. Deliberate fraud leading to bankruptcy can result in severe penalties for the company's officers.
Bipolarity
In a LP (limited partnership), at least one partner must be a general partner (having unlimited personal liablity for torts commited by the partnership and for creditor claims against the partnership) and at least one partner must be a limited partner (having liability only to the extent of that partner's contribution to the partnership).

This makes sense, because every company should have at least one person prepared to bear the losses of the firm, however high they may be.

But a new type of business is the LLLP, or limited liability limited partnership, where all partners, including the general partners, have only limited liability.

What happens if this partnership, i.e. the LLLP goes bankrupt and owes huge debts to its creditors? Will the partners be personally liable for creditor claims the partnership? I am curious about this. If not, then what recourse does the creditor have against the partners? What obligations are imposed on the partners as a result of the partnership's bankruptcy?

I apprciate any thoughts on this issue. Thanks in advance!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
The concept of an entity (a corporation in US terms) having limited liability is not new, but dates back at least to the Limited Liability Act of 1855 in the UK. Most modern corporations function this way. Companies go bankrupt all the time, and the creditors are left to suffer the losses. A creditor knows this going into the business relationship and acts accordingly.

I see. What if the bankruptcy is fraudulently induced by the firm's management (i.e. management and shareholders transfer remaining assets to other locations as soon as they know about the insolvency)? Then will creditors have recourse against the company and can the owners be held personally liable? It would be very unfair if creditors were swindled by fraudulent acts committed by management during a bankruptcy.

BiP

Well, I'm not a lawyer, so I really don't know, but if you can prove fraud, I would suspect you can sue both the company and the managers. The laws depends of course on what country you're in. You might try Google on "bankruptcy fraud" and see what you can learn.

Under UK bankruptcy law (and I would expect other countries as well), as soon as the insolvency is formally declared, all the assets are controlled by an administrator appointed by the bankruptcy court.

So the situation where partners squirrel away assets "during" or "after" the bankruptcy doesn't arise.

If the partners used the company assets in an illegal fashion (e.g. to pay themselves without making entries in the company accounts) before the bankruptcy was declared, that's just "ordinary" financial fraud.

But since the penalties for being an officer of a company that is declared bankrupt are quite severe (in terms of being banned from holding similar positions in future, etc), deliberate fraud on a scale that lead to bankruptcy would be a fairly dumb thing to do!

What is an LLLP?

An LLLP, or Limited Liability Limited Partnership, is a type of business structure that combines elements of a limited partnership and a limited liability company.

What happens if an LLLP goes bankrupt?

If an LLLP goes bankrupt, it means that the business is unable to pay its debts and obligations. This can lead to the dissolution of the partnership and the liquidation of its assets to pay off creditors.

Are the partners of an LLLP personally liable for the debts of the business?

No, one of the main advantages of an LLLP is that the partners have limited liability, meaning their personal assets are protected from the debts and liabilities of the business. However, this limited liability may not apply in cases of fraud or unlawful activities.

What happens to the assets of an LLLP if it goes bankrupt?

If an LLLP goes bankrupt, its assets will be used to pay off creditors in a specific order. First, secured creditors, such as banks with a lien on the business's assets, will be paid. Then, unsecured creditors, such as suppliers and vendors, will be paid. Finally, any remaining assets will be distributed among the partners.

Can an LLLP file for bankruptcy protection?

Yes, an LLLP can file for bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code. This allows the business to reorganize and potentially continue operating instead of liquidating its assets. However, this option may not be available for all LLLPs and should be discussed with a lawyer.