What Happens to Polysaccharides Like Hemicellulose When Dissolved in Water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Baho Ilok
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    organic chemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Baho Ilok
Messages
45
Reaction score
5
I would like to understand more about the mechanism of polysaccharide dissolution in a solvent that which it is soluble in. Do they maintain polymeric structure (glycosidic bonds) and only lose side-chain bonding (H-bond) among each other? Or are will their glycosidic bonds be compromised resulting in individual monomers dissolving in the solution?

Or does this question even make sense? The real reason why I asked this question is that I just want to know what form the hemicellulose xylan takes when dissolved in water.

Thanks!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Usually dissolving polysacharides in water will only break hydrogen-bonding between macromolecules. The glycosidic bonds should be maintained intact. These bonds are fairly resistant to hydrolysis at room temperature and neutral pH.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Baho Ilok