What happens to the pythagorean theorem in a non-euclidean space?

In summary: The term Euclidean is, unfortunately, used for two distinct things, one refers to the metric signature and the other to the curvature of a space.In summary, the theorem still holds true, but triangle sides are curves.
Ulysees
Does the theorem still hold true, but triangle sides are curves?

pythag_thm.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Ulysees said:

View attachment 13362

The theorem won't hold as written anymore.
Working in a non-euclidean space doesn't imply that straight lines (i.e., geodesics) will appear curved. Minkowski space[time] is a non-euclidean space.

… Pythagoras on a sphere …

Ulysees said:

View attachment 13362

Hi Ulysees! :smile:

The surface of a sphere is a good example of a non-Euclidean space.

The equivalent of Pythagoras' theorem is cosC = cosA.cosB.

If you put cos ~ 1 + ( ^2)/2, you get … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
If you put cos ~ 1 + ( ^2)/2, you get … ? :smile:

What's on the left of ^ ? And what is the symbol on the right of cos?

ooh … sorry … my ~ meant "is approximately", and the whole thing was shorthand for:
"cosA ~ 1 + (A^2)/2, where A is a very small angle (length, in radians), and the same for B and C".​

tiny-tim said:
ooh … sorry … my ~ meant "is approximately", and the whole thing was shorthand for:
"cosA ~ 1 + (A^2)/2, where A is a very small angle (length, in radians), and the same for B and C".​

That is, insert into [itex]\cos C =\cos A \cos B[/itex] the "Taylor expansion" of the cosine functions: e.g.,
[tex]\cos A = 1 - \frac{1}{2!}A^2 + \frac{1}{4!}A^4 \mp \ldots[/tex]
and keep the lowest nontrivial terms (i.e., let [itex]A[/itex] tend to zero).

Thats right, on the surface of a sphere you can draw a triangle with three equal length sides that has 3 right angles too! Thats what is meant by curved space to some extent, the ordinary euclidean geometry fails.

I guess some approximation of the expansion of cos might yield the pythagorean theoreom.

But I'm pondering, what are we doing here, we're mapping an abstract 2D curved space into ordinary euclidean space. General relativity is doing something analogous?

Could it be that a 3D or 4D curved space is just a mathematical trick, and in fact we can match experimental measurements with euclidean geometry too and the right formulation of relativity's equations?

Last edited:
Ulysees said:
I guess some approximation of the expansion of cos might yield the pythagorean theoreom.

But I'm pondering, what are we doing here, we're mapping an abstract 2D curved space into ordinary euclidean space. General relativity is doing something analogous?

Could it be that a 3D or 4D curved space is just a mathematical trick, and in fact we can match experimental measurements with euclidean geometry too and the right formulation of relativity's equations?

We're essentially taking limit as the triangle on the sphere gets smaller...
(more precisely, the triangle-edges are made much smaller than the radius of curvature [of the sphere].)
...so that the triangle approaches that of a "triangle on a flat plane (which best approximates the surface at that point)".

However, this does not mean the "earth is flat"... the Earth's surface is certainly curved.

So the sphere is real, not an abstraction from 4D to 2D?

The centre of curvature is the sun? And what you're saying is about triangles oriented so the gravity of the sun is at right angles to the triangle?

Can someone tell me, is it possible to match experimental measurements explained with GR but without including the concept of curved space and instead using relativistic equations in euclidean space?

Ulysees said:
Can someone tell me, is it possible to match experimental measurements explained with GR but without including the concept of curved space and instead using relativistic equations in euclidean space?

Hi Ulysees! :smile:

Locally, yes … if you're only considering one particle, you can explain away the GR structure of "space-time" by inventing imaginary forces such as "the force of gravity" … which, of course is exactly what we do in ordinary mechanics!

But, for a region of space (as opposed to just a point), you'll always be able to detect a difference in geometry … the Pythagoras theorem, with which you started this discussion, must work in Euclidean space, but cannot work in GR. :smile:

To put it succinctly … experimental measurements involving triangles cannot match a Euclidean theory.

Terminology

The term Euclidean is, unfortunately, used for two distinct things, one refers to the metric signature and the other to the curvature of a space.

One can say unambiguously that any space that has an indefinite or a definite negative metric signature is not Euclidean even if that space is flat. Also any space that has a definite positive metric signature and is flat is Euclidean. However a space that has a definite positive metric signature and is not flat is sometimes also called Euclidean.

A metric that has exactly one single component with a reversed sign is often called Lorentzian.

The Pythagorean theorem does not hold in a Lorentzian metric space even if that space is flat.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
The term Euclidean is, unfortunately, used for two distinct things, one refers to the metric signature and the other to the curvature of a space.

One can say unambiguously that any space that has an indefinite or a definite negative metric signature is not Euclidean even if that space is flat. Also any space that has a definite positive metric signature and is flat is Euclidean. However a space that has a definite positive metric signature and is not flat is sometimes also called Euclidean.

"A space that has a definite positive metric signature and is not flat" should be called Riemannian.

experimental measurements involving triangles cannot match a Euclidean theory

For example, let's take a wire shaped like a triangle, like a hanger for clothes, with a top angle of 90 degrees. We can put this hanger on a nail on the wall in various ways:

Image3.jpg

You are saying that the model where there is a constant Earth "force" of gravity is false, and the model where there is a varying inverse-square "force" of gravity is false too, and that the reality is that the space of the triangle is curved. I suspect that the GR model does not produce more accurate predictions as to where the triangle will balance in the bottom-right case. Compared to the Newtonian model of an inverse-square force of gravity, the prediction should be the same I suspect.

So let's do this problem correctly then (ie according to GR, and not the false Newtonian euclidean-space force mechanics). I think the result will be the same.

At what point will the triangle balance? (in the bottom-right figure). Given the hypotenuse is 1 metre long, and the other angles are equal. The triangle is on the surface of the Earth at the north pole. Make it bigger if you want, with a 1000 km hypotenuse. Let's see if you can get away without using the pythagorean theorem or other euclidean equations...

Last edited:

1. What is a non-euclidean space?

A non-euclidean space is a mathematical space that does not follow the rules and principles of Euclidean geometry, which is the study of points, lines, and angles in a flat, two-dimensional space.

2. How does the Pythagorean theorem work in a non-euclidean space?

In a non-euclidean space, the Pythagorean theorem does not hold true. This is because the Pythagorean theorem is based on the idea that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, which is only true in Euclidean spaces. In non-euclidean spaces, the shortest distance between two points can be curved or even infinite.

3. What are some examples of non-euclidean spaces?

Some examples of non-euclidean spaces include spherical geometry, which is the geometry of the Earth's surface, and hyperbolic geometry, which is the geometry of saddle-shaped surfaces. These spaces have different rules and principles compared to Euclidean geometry, leading to different measurements and calculations.

4. How does the concept of curvature affect the Pythagorean theorem in non-euclidean spaces?

The concept of curvature is essential in understanding the Pythagorean theorem in non-euclidean spaces. In Euclidean spaces, the curvature is zero, and the Pythagorean theorem holds true. However, in non-euclidean spaces, the curvature is not zero, and thus the Pythagorean theorem does not apply.

5. Why is it important to study the Pythagorean theorem in non-euclidean spaces?

Studying the Pythagorean theorem in non-euclidean spaces allows us to better understand the limitations of Euclidean geometry and the importance of considering different types of spaces in mathematical and scientific studies. It also has practical applications in fields such as astronomy, where non-euclidean spaces are used to calculate distances and measurements in the curved space of the universe.