What happens when you expand and factor (a + b + c)^3 - a^3 - b^3 - c^3?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Factoring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
mathdad
Messages
1,280
Reaction score
0
Factor the expression.

(a + b + c)^3 - a^3 - b^3 - c^3

I believe the best way to tackle this problem is to expand (a + b + c)^3. By doing so, I should be able to cancel out -a^3 - b^3 - c^3, right?
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
RTCNTC said:
Factor the expression.

(a + b + c)^3 - a^3 - b^3 - c^3

I believe the best way to start problem is by expanding
(a + b + c)^3. By doing so, I should be able to cancel out
-a^3 - b^3 - c^3, right?
Start by writing it as $[(a+b+c)^3 - a^3] - [b^3 + c^3]$, and factor the contents of each of the square brackets as the difference (or sum) of two cubes.
 
The difference of cubes is applied to
[(a + b + c)^3 - a^3] and the sum of cubes to [b^3 + c^3].

Correct?
 
RTCNTC said:
The difference of cubes is applied to
[(a + b + c)^3 - a^3] and the sum of cubes to [b^3 + c^3].

Correct?
Yes! What happens when you do that?
 
Opalg said:
Yes! What happens when you do that?

I have not completed the problem. So, my guess is that after applying the sum and difference of cubes, lots of terms will get canceled in the process.