What I would like to discuss is, "who is the dreamer?"

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of consciousness and dreams. The speaker shares their thoughts on how their mind is connected to the world, and how dreams are not memories but rather a form of communication through images. They also question the identity of the dreamer and whether the human mind has the ability to run different scripts for waking and dreaming. The conversation ultimately ends with the moderator reminding the speaker to stick to topics with empirical evidence rather than speculation.
Suppaman
Consciousness. I do not see any specific places here dedicated to the mind so that I will ask my question here. As I sit here typing I am using my mind, and I can communicate by talking or writing, I am connected to the world. This morning I awoke from another dream. It was complicated, as real as the world is to me as I type. However, the places and thoughts and people in my dreams are not memories. I may have dreams (I usually have them every day) that occur in areas I have had in other dreams.

Who, I ask, is that dreamer? It seems to be communicating using images, not words. Very infrequently I will dream about a sound or a smell or a touch, and it is most often images. People say they can not remember their dreams. I remember a lot.

Is it possible that the human mind can use its resources to run a "Consciousness" program with one script for when I am awake and one when the "me" script is dormant? It is generally accepted that when describing a dream to anyone they are not interested. They often look for meaning in dreams. If I share a story I have written people do not look for "meaning," they want to be entertained.

What I would like to discuss is, "who is the dreamer?"

Likes Sevz
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Suppaman, I am sorry but this thread crosses into speculation and philosophy which we have rules against. We encourage threads topics with empirical evidence rather than relying on speculation and interpretation.

Topics about the biology of dreams is interesting and could be started in the biology forum but note, it must revolve around credible research.

Thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the significance of discussing "who is the dreamer?"

The concept of "who is the dreamer" refers to the idea of exploring the source or creator of our dreams. It can also refer to the larger question of who or what is ultimately responsible for our experiences and perceptions of reality.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for dreaming and the identity of the dreamer?

While there is ongoing research and various theories about the purpose and function of dreams, there is currently no scientific consensus on the identity of the dreamer or the exact mechanism behind dreaming.

3. Can we control the dreamer or the content of our dreams?

There is evidence that some individuals may be able to influence their dreams through techniques such as lucid dreaming, but the extent to which we can control the dreamer or the content of our dreams is still not fully understood.

4. How does the concept of the dreamer relate to the field of neuroscience?

The study of dreaming and the identity of the dreamer is a rich area of research in neuroscience, as it involves exploring the complex workings of the brain and consciousness. However, there is still much to be learned and understood in this field.

5. Are there any notable theories or studies on the identity of the dreamer?

There are various theories and hypotheses in psychology and philosophy about the identity of the dreamer, including Freud's psychoanalytic theory and Jung's concept of the collective unconscious. In addition, there have been numerous scientific studies exploring the neural activity and cognitive processes involved in dreaming.