Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can you fully control your dreams?

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    Online its a very big thing called Lucid Dreaming. I would be skeptical of a lot of the claims online, as its very hard to directly prove, but i can remember dreams that i have had before where i suddenly realized i was dreaming and was able to alter my dream accordingly (only for very short times though). I am skeptical of some of the descriptions of Lucid dreaming though, such as this one from Stephen LaBerge, Ph.D, "There is a state of consciousness in which any human being could experience anything imaginable. Each of us holds within us infinite possibilities. How many of us ever have the opportunity to taste even a hint of them? If we speak of our fantasies of wider vistas of life, we talk of our "dreams." In our dreams, we are free. A man in a dungeon can dream he is a king in a castle, and while he dreams, it is so."

To me it all sounds a bit new-age. If that description was true that would mean that people should much prefer the 'dreaming reality' to the real reality we live in as in a dream you have no constraints and could do pretty much anything, even brake the laws of physics. Apparently people who master Lucid Dreaming can find ordinary life boring, which causes them to want to stay in their dreams, and they become withdrawn from society.

If we really could make dreams as real to us as when awake, and so were able to do anything we want in our dreams (as a lot of people claim), then i can see why they would want to!

what are peoples thoughts on this, are its effects overexaggerated, or is there some truth behind it? I would imagine that there are constraints on what you can dream but i cant think why.

some interesting papers on Lucid dreaming;

http://lucidity.best.vwh.net/NL53.ResearchPastFuture.html
    http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200422/000020042204A0674103.php
    http://www.lucidity.com/SleepAndCognition.html
    http://www.lucidity.com/slbbs/index.html

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2
    Most everyone has had a lucid dream or two and I have read accounts of people who have a great deal of control over their dreams. Total control is probably limited to people who practice some strict life discipline such as Tibetan monks, and the like.

4. Oct 22, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Didn't Feynman talk about trying to achieve Lucid dreaming states in Surely Your Joking?

5. Oct 22, 2007 #4

Mk

I lucid dream every night. Not that big a deal, although full control is a rarity.

6. Oct 22, 2007 #5

Art

Talking of dreams anybody know what people who were born blind 'see' in their dreams?

7. Oct 22, 2007 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As far as I can manage, I can recognize being in a dream, but before I can "control" it, I tend to wake up. I can imagine that such control of lucid dreams is valid, to a point. A lot of new agers tend to claim lots of powers that are totally unverifiable at best (totally bogus more frequently).

Did you guys know that I can sense the emotions of trees? I can! This hickory here has been depressed ever since that great elm died in the year we call 1948. Now this elm lived over three miles away from the hickory, but they were in direct communication through the aquifer which acts as a conduit of information via roots etc etc etc etc etc.

I wish I were making that one up!

8. Oct 22, 2007 #7
    Living in a dream is no substitute for discovering real people, real minds.

9. Oct 22, 2007 #8
    Thats the problem that I have with gaining control over my actions in dreams. As soon as i realize its a dream I think of myself asleep in bed, and as soon as i think of that, I will always wake up. I presume with practise you could learn to realise you are dreaming without thinking about your where your actual body is, which seems to be what wakes people up from lucid dreams; when they think about where they 'actually' are.

10. Oct 22, 2007 #9
    I sense trees too. I have known about trees pretty much all my life. They can be very moody, and yes they remember for a very long time.

11. Oct 22, 2007 #10
  12. Oct 22, 2007 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've had control of some dreams before. I seem to get better and better as time goes. Years ago I couldn't control them at all.

13. Oct 22, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, what's the fun in controlling your dreams? That's too much like being awake. It's much more fun to have bizarre, surprise endings. :biggrin:

14. Oct 22, 2007 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, if it's a girl you like...

15. Oct 22, 2007 #14
    Generally when I realize that I'm dreaming and gain full control of my dreams...I tend to try to wake up. lol. However, there have also been dreams where I had partial control over them and I truly believed in the false reality that I was dreaming and was able to play as a person in that world (usually when I have those dreams I want to hit the person who wakes me up).

What I hate most is when you're dreaming and have enough control to do certain things, and wake up right before something good happens. Meh.

16. Oct 22, 2007 #15

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

17. Oct 22, 2007 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Debugging dreams are common when you have been concentrating on code for a few days. You know there is something wrong in the dream, step back and change it, then go back into the dream, all without waking up.

18. Oct 22, 2007 #17
    You can never fully control your dreams. The reason for this is you can never die in your dreams. You tend to wake up a split second moment before you do.

19. Oct 23, 2007 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I died, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

20. Oct 23, 2007 #19
    Your deams are dictated by whatever you are thinking. What if you dream that you die? In that case, your dream would not be black, but probably a false afterlife that is whatever you think.

21. Oct 23, 2007 #20
    I only wanted to see if people would go to bed and kill themselves in their dreams and then come back here and post it.

Whether you die voluntarily or not in your dream may suggest a lack of fear of death, with the possibility of suicidal tendencies. Are either of you suicidal?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?