Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What, if anything, is necessarily true inequalities called?

  1. Sep 27, 2008 #1


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

    An equality that is true for all members of a specified set is generally called an "identity" (for example x+x=2x is, say, an identity wrt the set of real numbers).

    But do inequalities that are true for all members of a specified set have an established name?
    (An inequality of that kind would be [itex]x^{2}+1\geq{0}[/itex] for real x).
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2
    Yes, identinequalities;;;perhaps not found in English bibliography
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook