What if Gmail had been Designed by Microsoft?

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary: You are using 2000KB of your 2000KB. New incoming mails will be deleted.In summary, you are using up your storage space and new incoming mail will be deleted.
neutrino
Physics news on Phys.org
The easier solution is to use yahoo mail, unlimited e-mail storage and much larger mail box view without all the clutter from the google ads eating up half your screen. :smile:

gmail gives you over 4gig now.

But it still has all the clutter. Evo is probably the only person in the world who doesn't like the tabs in a conversation. :tongue: :wink:

neutrino said:
But it still has all the clutter. Evo is probably the only person in the world who doesn't like the tabs in a conversation. :tongue: :wink:
:biggrin: Yeah, I'll never tire of poking fun at people that worship g-mail.

(oh don't even remind me of those tabs, obviously the work of the devil)

Heathen! :mad:

Just mentioning Microsoft starts a religious debate between Gmail and Yahoo users. Surely, it must be MS that is the work of Him...

http://diossy.com/images/KavaPics/thumnails/BillGatesDEVIL.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
neutrino said:
Heathen! :mad:

Just mentioning Microsoft starts a religious debate between Gmail and Yahoo users. Surely, it must be MS that is the work of Him...

http://diossy.com/images/KavaPics/thumnails/BillGatesDEVIL.gif
:rofl:

Either you can hate Bill Gates and trash MS products, or you can trash Steve Jobs and Apple products. I never got this...? I don't have any problems with my XP or my Ipod... :confused:

It's human nature. An unflattering side of human nature, but there it is.

Poking harmless fun is one thing, but I see people that really take this to a level that borders on obsession.

And if they had designed the IPOD box

So true. I'm looking forward to seeing the new gmail too.

Greg Bernhardt said:
gmail gives you over 4gig now.
Over five now, actually!

neutrino said:
For the benefit of those who don't subscribe to Slashdot. :)
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-11-20-n35.html
:rofl:

The strange part is that hotmail really is getting this bad. The ads have nothing to do with the page I'm looking at, at the top of the email it says " Attachments, pictures, and links in this message have been blocked for your safety." then when I click on the link (it's a link to a youtube comment) it has a popup asking ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS?

Hotmail used to be really good about 6 years ago. It had only a few mb of storage space, but it was a great service. The spam protection worked perfect, it didn't hide stuff for my protection, and it didn't have popups asking if I really really really want to go that site for realz. I stopped using it about 3-4 years ago when the spam protection no longer worked. I can add a sender to the block list or mark mail as junk and I'll get the exact same spam email a few days later. Why would they intentionally break a system that was working perfect up until that time?

I actually see a lot more ads on Yahoo than gmail. On gmail, they're still unobtrusive little text ads. Yahoo is the one that has those half-page flash ad things (thank goodness for adblock). But, yeah, Hotmail is the worst. I only use that account when I EXPECT to get spammed if I sign up for something, because I ignore the entire account. :biggrin:

But, I think my whole life is controlled by google now, which scares me a bit. :uhh: Once I got gmail, I had to start exploring everything else too. I've been using the google calendar too, but that's because it can send SMS messages to my cell phone with reminders...having a calendar does me no good if the reminders are popping up on my computer screen when I'm someplace else, and a paper calendar does no good if I don't remember when to check it. I've appropriately programmed my cell phone to play "If I only had a brain" when my reminder messages come through. :rolleyes:

1. What are the differences between Gmail and Microsoft's email services?

Gmail and Microsoft's email services, such as Outlook and Hotmail, have several differences in terms of design, features, and functionality. Gmail has a simpler and cleaner interface with a focus on organization through labels and filters. Microsoft's email services have a more cluttered interface with a focus on folders and categories. Gmail also offers more integration with other Google services, such as Google Drive and Google Calendar, while Microsoft's email services are more integrated with their own Office suite. Additionally, Gmail has a larger storage capacity and better spam filtering compared to Microsoft's email services.

2. Would Gmail have the same security measures if it was designed by Microsoft?

It is likely that Gmail would have similar security measures if it was designed by Microsoft. Both companies prioritize security and have implemented measures such as two-factor authentication, encrypted connections, and spam filtering. However, the specific features and implementation may differ slightly.

3. How would the user experience differ if Gmail was designed by Microsoft?

The user experience of Gmail would likely be different if it was designed by Microsoft. Microsoft tends to have a more traditional and complex interface compared to Google's minimalist design. This could result in a more cluttered and overwhelming experience for Gmail users. Additionally, Microsoft may have implemented different features and functionality in their version of Gmail.

4. Would Gmail's features be compatible with Microsoft's software?

It is possible that Gmail's features would be compatible with Microsoft's software, as both companies offer compatibility with various third-party applications and services. However, there may be some limitations or differences in the integration and functionality between Gmail and Microsoft's software due to their different design and coding standards.

5. How would the branding and overall aesthetic of Gmail change if it was designed by Microsoft?

If Gmail was designed by Microsoft, it is likely that the branding and overall aesthetic would be more in line with Microsoft's design language. This could mean a change in the color scheme, font choices, and overall layout of the interface. However, it is also possible that Microsoft would maintain Gmail's branding to avoid confusing users and maintain consistency with the already established Gmail brand.