What if life is found on Mars? Then what?

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Mars
In summary, after the initial shock and excitement, do we commandeer the the planet and take if for ourselves anyway? Pollute it with Earth species or extremophiles?
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
After the initial shock and excitement, do we commandeer the the planet and take if for ourselves anyway? Pollute it with Earth species or extremophiles?

Will an environmental impact study then be required?

And if they are more advanced, do we hide and hope they didn't see us lest they do the same to us without worrying about impact statements?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the very first thing would be to make 100% sure, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that what we detected are not 'hitchhikers' from Earth. After that, if they're found to be indigenous to Mars, I see a few things happening...

-Various religious sects refuting the evidence while others 're-interpret' the foundations of their religion to then incorporate the existence of life on planets other than Earth.

-I see more 'life detecting' probes being sent to other regions to search for variations.

-NASA will have more to worry about when we send human explorers to Mars and will have to take contamination much more seriously. (which is still a looooooong time away.)

-We'll learn that life in the universe is (most likely) more common than we assume.

We kill it. Never know what they could be plotting and it's best to stay on the safe side.

WarPhalange said:
We kill it. Never know what they could be plotting and it's best to stay on the safe side.

I was going to say the same, but you beat me to it :grumpy:
Preventive war. Pre-emptive war ?

Who would want to know what will happen? It's a dice roll, and that's the beauty of the future!

Sweeping philosophical remarks aside, I think if life is found on Mars there will probably be an explosion of interest in future explorations to the not-so-lonely planet. We'll be studying what we find inside out until we know every detail of the life that exists (or perhaps used to exist?), then we'll send up a few more probes to look for what we might have missed.

Of course, philosophers will be going wild at the news and making fat bank on their new books people will read to understand 'what it all means'.

We kill it?

Go in after their WMDs?

Not sure Dick Cheney will still be running things by the time anything could be done.

Enslave them on asparagus plantations.

jimmysnyder said:
Enslave them on asparagus plantations.

Okay, THAT was funny! :rofl:

I guess this depends on the type of life we find.

I think we will be very cautious with any life forms. Anyone remember when the astronauts returned form the first moon landing? They were kept quarantined.

On the recovery ship, they went into a sealed travel trailer and stayed there until the trailer was brought back to Houston, then they exited into a sealed laboratory along with the moon rocks. They were kept there until it was decided that they had no diseases.

The book, The Andromeda Strain was published in may of 69 and may have led to some of the precautions.

edward said:
I think we will be very cautious with any life forms. Anyone remember when the astronauts returned form the first moon landing? They were kept quarantined.

Wasn't that around the same time students were told to hide under their desks from a nuclear attack?

Daniel Y. said:
Wasn't that around the same time students were told to hide under their desks from a nuclear attack?

What would you suggest that they do instead?

Daniel Y. said:
Actually, that was popular during the late '50s - I was there.

LowlyPion said:
Pollute it with Earth species or extremophiles?

I'd be willing to bet this has already been done...(unintentionally, of course).

BoomBoom said:
I'd be willing to bet this has already been done...(unintentionally, of course).

I'm sure there's a finite error bracket to thinking it couldn't happen. But the temperature extremes and prolonged severe environmental conditions in transport and on the Martian surface, compared to the relatively fertile conditions under which the lander and instrument package was assembled and where they might have hopped aboard, should give us some degree of confidence that if it was viable at fabrication, it's not now.

Given the limited nature of Martian conditions and what we currently know about limits in Earth extremeophiles, I wouldn't think it would matter one way or the other if there were hitchhikers. They shouldn't be affecting asparagus production numbers in any event.

The Surveyor probes were the first U.S. spacecraft to land safely on the Moon. In November, 1969, the Surveyor 3 spacecraft 's microorganisms were recovered from inside its camera that was brought back to Earth under sterile conditions by the Apollo 12 crew.

The 50-100 organisms survived launch, space vacuum, 3 years of radiation exposure, deep-freeze at an average temperature of only 20 degrees above absolute zero, and no nutrient, water or energy source.
http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast01sep98_1.htm
http://astrobio.net/news/article1311.html

And they weren't extremophiles. Just regular old common Streptococcus mitis.

Last edited by a moderator:
LowlyPion said:
I'm sure there's a finite error bracket to thinking it couldn't happen. But the temperature extremes and prolonged severe environmental conditions in transport and on the Martian surface, compared to the relatively fertile conditions under which the lander and instrument package was assembled and where they might have hopped aboard, should give us some degree of confidence that if it was viable at fabrication, it's not now.

Given the limited nature of Martian conditions and what we currently know about limits in Earth extremeophiles, I wouldn't think it would matter one way or the other if there were hitchhikers. They shouldn't be affecting asparagus production numbers in any event.

Bacteria spores are incredibly resistant to cold.

During the lunar landing series it was determined that the Moon is absolutely sterile, and there are no Moon organisms at all. The only exception was when Apollo 12 landed next to Surveyor 3 and returned some instruments from the unmanned craft that NASA scientists found streptococcus spores on the instruments, presumably from one of the technicians assembling it. The spores had somehow remained viable in the unbelievably harsh environment of space.

http://astroprofspage.com/archives/142

1. What would this mean for our understanding of life?

If life is found on Mars, it would be a groundbreaking discovery that would challenge our understanding of how life forms and evolves. It would also raise questions about the origin of life and the possibility of life existing on other planets.

2. How would we confirm that the life on Mars is indeed extraterrestrial?

Scientists would use various methods to confirm the existence of extraterrestrial life on Mars, such as analyzing the chemical composition of the organisms, studying their DNA, and examining their physical characteristics. They would also compare the Martian life to known life forms on Earth to determine if they share a common ancestor.

3. Could this life on Mars pose a threat to humans?

It is unlikely that the Martian life would pose a threat to humans if it exists. The harsh conditions on Mars, such as extreme cold and lack of oxygen, would make it difficult for these organisms to survive and thrive. Additionally, any potential life on Mars would have evolved separately from life on Earth, making it unlikely to have harmful effects on humans.

4. What implications would this have for future missions to Mars?

If life is found on Mars, it would have significant implications for future missions to the planet. It would shift the focus of these missions from solely studying the planet's geology to also studying its potential for supporting life. It could also lead to more ambitious missions aimed at studying and possibly even bringing back samples of Martian life.

5. Would this discovery have any impact on our search for extraterrestrial life in the universe?

The discovery of life on Mars would greatly impact our search for extraterrestrial life in the universe. It would provide evidence that life can exist on other planets and increase the likelihood of finding life on other celestial bodies in our solar system and beyond. It would also fuel the search for habitable exoplanets and potentially change our understanding of where and how we should be looking for alien life.