TalonD
- 182
- 1
I've read somewhere in this forum more than once that GR predicts an expanding Universe. So in laymens terms please, what is it in GR that predicts an expansion of the univers?
No, GR predicts a dynamic universe, either expanding or collapsing. Or, more precisely, it predicts that a static universe is unstable.I've read somewhere in this forum more than once that GR predicts an expanding Universe. So in laymens terms please, what is it in GR that predicts an expansion of the univers?
TalonD said:I've read somewhere in this forum more than once that GR predicts an expanding Universe. So in laymens terms please, what is it in GR that predicts an expansion of the univers?
TalonD said:ok, so what has me confused is that we have come up with the idea of dark energy to explain the expansion, right? or no? but GR predicts the expansion. So does GR predict the existence of dark energy? or does GR suggest some other mechanism to explain expansion, some geometric reason similar to the way it explains gravity as geometry ?
I don't know enough math to understand the equations. just trying to get a grip on the concepts.
yenchin said:No. Dark energy is not required to explain the expansion, it was proposed to explain the *accelerating* expansion.