What ion is Aluminum likely to form?

In summary, the conversation discusses the electron configuration and valence electrons of Al, with a focus on the number of ions that Al can have. The group number method of determining valence electrons is shown to be incorrect for d-block and f-block elements. The correct electron configuration is given as ##1s^22s^22p^63s^23p^1## and the number of valence electrons is determined to be 3. The most stable ion for Al is Al3+, with other possibilities existing in extreme conditions. The Al ion is found to have a +3 charge due to its neon electron configuration.
forgetful
Homework Statement
What ion is aluminum likely to form?
Relevant Equations
N/A
A self test question from Chemical Principles(Atkins/Jones).
Other than rote memorization I don’t see how to do this. The review section references the Periodic Table and, for elements on the right side of the table, one can use 18 minus the group number which would give Al(superscript 5+) since Al is a group 13; Which is of course wrong. The answer is shown as 3+. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the electron configuration of Al? How many valence electrons?

Group numbers work only for a "short" periodic table and fail for most d-block and f-block elements.

Electron configuration? I think it’s ##1s^22s^22p^63s^23p^1##
Valence electrons? At first I would have said 1 since there is an incomplete p orbital but reading ahead it seems that it would be all electrons in excess of the nearest noble gas as one moves to the left and that would be 3(and 7 for Cl but that seems high). If what I just wrote is correct would it be true that the number of valence electrons is also the number of ions that a element can have? Thanks for your replies.

Al3+ it is.

For Cl things go in the other direction - the most stable configuration is again the noble gas configuration, but the nearest one is not the one with 7 electrons removed, but the one with an electron added, so Cl-.

Technically ions like Al+, Al2+ (and even Al4+ and so on) are all possible till you strip all electrons and leave just a bare nucleus, but in typical situation (typical for chemistry, which means presence of other substances and temperatures/pressures not much different from these we live in) Al3+ is the most stable one.

Thank you

The Al ion has a +3 charge on it. This is because the Al ion has a neon electron configuration 1s22s22p6. The noble gas neon has a stable electron configuration. All the n=2 orbitals are filled.

1. What is the atomic number of Aluminum?

The atomic number of Aluminum is 13.

2. What is the electronic configuration of Aluminum?

The electronic configuration of Aluminum is [Ne] 3s2 3p1.

3. What is the most common ion formed by Aluminum?

The most common ion formed by Aluminum is Al3+.

4. Why does Aluminum form a +3 ion?

Aluminum has 3 valence electrons in its outermost shell, and it is energetically favorable for it to lose these electrons and attain a stable octet configuration. This results in the formation of a +3 ion.

5. What is the charge of the ion formed by Aluminum?

The charge of the ion formed by Aluminum is +3, as it loses 3 electrons to attain a stable octet configuration.