What is a beta amino acid and what do they look like?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
Mattara
Messages
347
Reaction score
1
What is a beta amino acid and how would a beta amino acid look like?

I know that the beta carbon is the second carbon from the functional group but which group would be where? Can I have an example of a beta amino acid?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
3-aminopropionic acid is an example of a beta amino acid, more commonly know as beta-alanine. As far as I know this is the only naturally occurring beta amino acid and is formed by the degredation of di-peptides.
 
what is the structure formula for that example? How are the functional groups arranged in a beta amino acid?
 
http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/structureimages/00/MFCD00008200.GIF
Hope this helps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh now I get it! There can be another [tex]CH_2[/tex] group in the middle! It helped a lot. Thank you.