Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a homework/coursework type question?

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1
    What is a homework/coursework "type" question?

Good evening,

Even after reading the Forum Guidelines, I am still not sure about what exactly is a homework/coursework "type" question. For me, the word "type" makes the term a little vague, because I think most questions/doubts about Physics can potentially look like having come from a textbook.
    If one looks in other sections such as "General Physics", one will find many questions that may resemble a homework assignment.

None of my Physics questions I've posted here are really "homework assignments"; they are doubts that arise from curiosity; but, in order to ask a Physics doubt, it is generally necessary to formulate the question in a way that may look very much like a homework/coursework question. How can I tell when my question is homework/coursework "type"?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: What is a homework/coursework "type" question?

Basically questions/exercises like the ones you encounter in high school and undergraduate textbooks are considered 'homework type'. Questions from more advanced courses (graduate level) can be discussed in the main forums. You can ask for explanations of concepts etc. in the appropriate subforum of course.

In some cases you may not be completely sure, but in those rare cases just post wherever you think is approriate. It will be moved by the moderators if needed.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  4. Oct 16, 2009 #3

Thank you for the clarification. Now I understand better.
    But, if the moderators need to move a question, isn't there the risk of being marked with an infraction?
    That has already happened to me, in a situation in which I wasn't sure where to post.

5. Oct 16, 2009 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

It also happened to me. I don't complain though, the infraction is not important (you can still post here, nothing changes) and it expires after 6 months.

6. Oct 16, 2009 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Hi pc2, I checked and you just received an "informational" zero point message when your post was moved.

7. Oct 16, 2009 #6

Are you talking about this one?:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/infraction.php?do=view&p=1699846 [Broken]
    I haven't perceived that it was zero point.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Oct 16, 2009 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, if you look at the top right it says

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Oct 16, 2009 #8

The other option, if you aren't sure where it should belong, is to post it wherever you think it goes, and then report your own post with your reasoning for where you put it, asking that it be moved if needed.

10. Oct 17, 2009 #9

NeoDevin, this is a good suggestion.

thank you for all the answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook