Avoiding bold font in Homework Questions

• Thread starter andrewkirk
  • Start date
In summary, some people have noticed that homework questions sometimes appear in all bold font, which can be annoying. This is because the heading for section 3 in the template is in bold and if a poster starts typing on the same line, their text will automatically be bold. To prevent this from happening, a non-bold character (such as a colon or full stop) could be added after each heading in the template. However, if a non-bold space is used instead, posters may still accidentally make their text bold by starting to type before the space. Adding a short reminder for members to overwrite this space could help prevent this issue.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I've noticed that homework questions occasionally appear with part 3 - the attempt - in bold font, like in this post. People complain about that from time to time, saying please don't write in all bold.

I think I've worked out how it happens. My theory is that it's because the heading of section 3 in the template - like the other headings - is in bold, and is not followed by any non-bold text. If the poster starts typing on the same line as the title, their text will automatically be bold. If they subsequently decide to split the line after the title, the text they typed will remain bold.

A way to stop this inadvertently happening in most cases (and I think it is nearly always inadvertent) would be to change the homework template so that it includes a non-bolded character, say a colon or a full stop, after each heading. If the poster starts typing after that, their text will be non-bold.

A non-bold space could be put there instead of a printed character. But then posters may start typing with the cursor before the space, in which case their text will be bold. I think they'd be less likely to start typing with the cursor before a punctuation mark.

Likes Evo and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a non bold space below #3. It seems members don't see this and try to create a space by clicking return while at the end of #3 which preserves the bold.

We can add a short text that members can overwrite. Can be as short as "...", but "don't forget this part" would work as well.

What is the purpose of avoiding bold font in homework questions?

The purpose of avoiding bold font in homework questions is to create a more uniform and professional appearance for the assignment. By using only one font style, the focus can be placed on the content of the question rather than the formatting.

Will using bold font in homework questions affect my grade?

Using bold font in homework questions will not directly affect your grade, as it does not impact the content of your assignment. However, following proper formatting guidelines can demonstrate your attention to detail and may reflect positively on your overall grade.

Can I use bold font for emphasis in my answers?

Yes, you can use bold font for emphasis in your answers. However, it is recommended to use it sparingly and only when necessary. Too much emphasis can make the text difficult to read and may distract from the main points of your answer.

Do all formatting guidelines prohibit the use of bold font in homework questions?

No, not all formatting guidelines prohibit the use of bold font in homework questions. However, many academic institutions and publications follow specific guidelines, such as APA or MLA style, that do not allow for bold font in the body of the text. It is important to follow the guidelines provided by your instructor or institution.

Are there any exceptions to avoiding bold font in homework questions?

There may be rare exceptions to avoiding bold font in homework questions, such as when a specific term or phrase needs to be highlighted for clarity. In these cases, it is important to use bold font sparingly and only when it enhances the understanding of the question. It is always best to check with your instructor for guidance on any exceptions to the formatting guidelines.