Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a non-interacting subsystem?

1. Jul 29, 2012 #1
    Hello there, I was looking up explainations about intensive/extensive properties and I'm not too sure what is meant by " non-interacting subsystems" when it comes to extensive properties. I've tried googling the term but that came up with nothing. Could someone please tell me what is meant by "non-interacting subsystem" or direct me to a site which can.

Thanks heaps...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2012 #2
    Where did you find the term "non-interacting subsystems"? You might try reading "non-interacting" and "subsystems" in the literal sense of the words.

4. Jul 29, 2012 #3
    I tried that, but it always comes up with things relating to particle physics, and the sites assume knowledge about the topic (which I don't have). Also the terminology used is very hard to follow.

I originally found the term on Wikipedia, but it pops up on other websites as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook