1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a phasor

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    Could someone please give me an explanation of what we mean we say phasor please. We went over phasors in class today and I understood all the manipulations we were doing for superposition but my professor mentioned phasors and never said what they were. I have looked up several definitions but it isn't gelling for me. Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Was he talking about Star Trek or electricity?

Phasors are vectors drawn in a circle to represent the phase differences of alternating current or voltages so that values can be calculated.

AM

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

A phasor is a rotating vector. In 99.9% of your course of study you can neglect the fact that they rotate; just manipulate them like ordinary vectors. They rotate because a sinewave can be represented by the projection of a rotating vector onto a chosen axis.

5. Jan 30, 2013 #4
    Thanks so much! Much clearer now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook