What is an intractable integral? How do you recognize one?

• Thread starter sarikan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, intractable means that the integral cannot be calculated by a certain person or computer, and sampling is a way of calculating it using a random procedure.
sarikan
Greetings,
I've been using Bayesian methods and especially Gibbs sampling to work on models of various complexity, and I've always accepted the pretty much standard textbook explanation as a sensible justification for using sampling methods: sometimes the posterior distributions of Bayesian models may be intractable.

It occurred to me at one point that none of the resources I have properly explain what they mean by that. Google scholar search made me even more confused, since many works seem to use intractable to refer to "resource intensive calculation". Analytically intractable seems to be a better term I guess, but what that means exactly is not still clear to me.

How do you know a (multiple) integral is analytically intractable? Other than the obvious situations where -∞ and ∞ bounds, I mean. (Would this be intractable by the way?)

I'm looking for a proper discussion of the topic, preferably in a Bayesian inference context. It is amazin how many textbooks simply say "this integral may be interactable etc etc.. so let's use sampling"

Any pointers would be much appreciated

Kind regards
Seref

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I have to confess that I've been bitten by my lack of proper understanding of the word intractable. My native language is not English, and I've taken intractable as impossible to calculate, which was wrong.

I would still appreciate your input though, is not this term a bit subjective?

sarikan said:
Ok, I have to confess that I've been bitten by my lack of proper understanding of the word intractable. My native language is not English, and I've taken intractable as impossible to calculate, which was wrong.

I would still appreciate your input though, is not this term a bit subjective?

Hi Sarikan,

I know this topic is over a year old, but just in case someone else is looking for this; I'm not a math expert at all, but I understand an integral being intractable when it is not possible to (more or less) track it down to the 'primary' set of functions. Primary in this case being the functions which you can derive to etc. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not able to give an explanation on how you define a function to be intractable, but at least this might give some idea's. Here is an explanation

- frbl

Hi frbl,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond to this. It is never too late for useful responses :)

sarikan said:
Greetings,

How do you know a (multiple) integral is analytically intractable? Other than the obvious situations where -∞ and ∞ bounds, I mean. (Would this be intractable by the way?)

I don't think that ∞ bounds are the main problem. Some general examples can be found in http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~larry/=sml2008/lect2.pdf. But I think the general answer is this -- if you try to integrate it and cannot, then it is intractable (to you). Sampling techniques have their drawbacks, but they give you an alternative when the integral is too tough. And many integrals are too tough.

1. What is an intractable integral?

An intractable integral is a type of mathematical integral that cannot be solved using standard integration techniques. These integrals are typically complex and cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. As a result, they require advanced mathematical methods or numerical techniques to find an approximate solution.

2. How do you recognize an intractable integral?

Intractable integrals can usually be recognized by their complexity, involving multiple variables, functions, or trigonometric expressions. They may also have no closed form solution, meaning they cannot be expressed using standard mathematical functions.

3. What are some common techniques for solving intractable integrals?

Some common techniques for solving intractable integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and the use of special functions such as the gamma or beta function. Numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal or Simpson's rule, can also be used to approximate the solution.

4. Are there any real-world applications for intractable integrals?

Yes, intractable integrals have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are often used to model complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. Intractable integrals are also important in the development of new mathematical methods and techniques.

5. Is there a way to simplify an intractable integral?

In some cases, it may be possible to simplify an intractable integral by using clever substitutions or applying certain mathematical tricks. However, in most cases, these integrals cannot be simplified and require advanced techniques or numerical methods to find a solution.