Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is an unapproved visitor message?

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I got a notification today that said that I have an unapproved visitor message. That's a first for me. When do visitor messages need to be approved?

I noticed that I can approve it myself, so I don't need help with that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Lately, we have been having quite a lot of spam in the visitor messages. So in order to fight that, visitor messages of some members had to be approved. Greg can probably explain more, so let's wait for him :biggrin:

4. Jan 28, 2013 #3
    What is a visitor message please?

I have seen nothing labelled thus, approved or unapproved.

I do exchange quite a few private messages from those who simply want to resolve a problem quietly without fuss or the intervention of those who want to go tail chasing.
    This works very well to the satisfaction of all.

5. Jan 28, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If you click on a person's avatar and go to their page, there is a place to leave a message for them on that page and you are a visitor there, so ...

[EDIT] I see you have several of them on your page; did you not know that?

6. Jan 28, 2013 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you click on the "Welcome, Studiot" link in the upper right, you will see yours. If someone leaves a message there, you should get a notification. They differ from PMs in that they're visible to all who visit your profile page.

7. Jan 28, 2013 #6
    Thank you, Fredrik.

I basically never visit that page, since I know who I am.

8. Jan 28, 2013 #7
    From time to time we moderate visitor messages to make sure we're not getting spammed "behind our back". I'll look through them in a minute.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  9. Jan 28, 2013 #8
    I laughed.. haha. thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook