Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What is beyond the edge of the universe?

1. Aug 24, 2016 #1
    Guys, what do you think is beyond the edge of the universe? There are a lot of theories, and I believe that the universe expands the same speed as light because if it goes any slower, it would meet. I think light interacts with dark matter to form a "boundary" of the universe in form of pure energy. Infinite universe makes no sense because then anything would be possible. BUT what would be beyond that edge?? What do you guys think?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Sorry, but there are no theories about what is beyond the edge of the universe because by far the prevailing theory holds that there is no edge. The simplest...mostly accurate... way to visualize it is that if you fly far enough in one direction you will eventually return to where you started.

We have a ton of threads on the subject in the cosmology section...where I'm moving this thread to....have a read of the Balloon Analogy thread at the top of the forum.

4. Aug 24, 2016 #3
    According to actual theories there is no such thing as an edge of the universe.
    It was proved quite some years ago (through doppler effect i think) that the universe is expanding, but I'm not really sure about the expansion speed; I'll have to check out.

Edit: didn't notice someone already answered, pardon ^^

5. Aug 24, 2016 #4
    'The Universe'. most used definition of the word is 'everything that exists'.
    There cannot be something outside of it by that definition.
    The question is similar to 'What happens if we go to North Pole, then continue to go North.'

6. Aug 24, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I recommend the link in my signature

7. Aug 25, 2016 #6
  8. Aug 26, 2016 #7

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed pending moderation.

Edit: several problematic posts have been removed and the thread will remain closed

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook