What Is Beyond the Infinite Universe and Its Expansion?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter PhysicsHigh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinite
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
PhysicsHigh
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Let's say we caught up to the end of the universe and we're keeping up with its expansion. What's on the other side? And is the other side infinite? Will the universe have to stop expanding if its not infinite on the other side
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
PhysicsHigh said:
Let's say we caught up to the end of the universe and we're keeping up with its expansion. What's on the other side? And is the other side infinite? Will the universe have to stop expanding if its not infinite on the other side
There is no end of the universe. You cannot catch up with it.
 
PhysicsHigh said:
Let's say we caught up to the end of the universe and we're keeping up with its expansion. What's on the other side? And is the other side infinite? Will the universe have to stop expanding if its not infinite on the other side

I assume you're speaking of the observable universe. In this case if you get to the edge you will neccesarily be 'keeping up with expansion' relative to your starting position.

What wil you see though? In my non-scientific understanding of things you will see exactly the same sort of things that you would see in space from here. The observable universe will be a new bubble and Earth will be just on the outer edges of it. (assuming you traveled there instantly)
 
I think I understand the bubble thing. Its the whole different levels of multiple dimensions. I mean I remember reading about how there are different bubbles filled with galaxies or a universe
But besides that I get it what your saying thanks
 
PhysicsHigh said:
I think I understand the bubble thing. Its the whole different levels of multiple dimensions. I mean I remember reading about how there are different bubbles filled with galaxies or a universe
But besides that I get it what your saying thanks

Ah, when I used the term 'bubble' I specifically meant a new 'sphere' of observable universe. Everything will appear the same as it does here and you will be able to see roughly the same distance away as you can from here. It's still part of our universe, and the observable parts would overlap a bit.

It's slightly confusing in words. Maybe someone has a diagram of what I'm talking about. :-p
 
We already are at the temporal edge of the universe. The other 'side' of the universe is the past. We are surrounded by the past and cannot 'see' the future of the universe.
 

This video is a brief explanation of the 4th dimension. According to M-theory our universe has 11 dimensions. time is also a dimension. As chronos said the edge of the universe is temporal and the "other side" is the past.
 
Last edited by a moderator: