What is 'cluster point' in french?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of 'cluster point' in the French mathematical literature. It is equivalent to 'valeur d'adhérence' and 'point d'accumulation', but not every adherent point is a cluster point. The conversation also mentions the existence of a math French/English dictionary and defines 'cluster point' as a point in a metric space for which there is a subsequence converging to it. The conversation also provides the definition of 'point d'accumulation' in a topological space and shows its equivalence to being an adherent point. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding these concepts in order to properly translate mathematical literature.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I'm not talking about how you would personally translate it.. I'm asking what is 'cluster point' in the french mathematical literature (textbooks).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe it's "aaleur d'adhérence". All I did is wikipedia "Cluster Point" and then I clicked "français" on the left.

In english, an adherent point for a set E is a point x for which "for each epsilon>0, the epsilon-ball centered on x contains at least one point of E". This implies in particular that every point of E is adherent. So even if we consider the image of a sequence, {x1,x2,...}, every cluster point is adherent but not every adherent point is a cluster point.

So if cluster point = valeur d'adhérence, I wonder what "adhenrent point" is in french!

Point d'accumulation

'Point d'accumulation' runs into the same "problem" as 'valeur d'adhérence' because as defined for a set, an accumulation point of a subset A of a metric space M is a point a of M for which for all e>0, [itex](B_{\epsilon}(a)\backslash \{a\})\cap A\neq \emptyset[/itex] (i.e. every open ball centered on a contains points of A other than a).

So even if we apply this concept to the image of the sequence, every accumulation point is a cluster point but not every cluster point is an accumulation point. For instance consider the constant sequence 1,1,1,... 1 is a cluster point but the set of all accumulation points of the image, {1}, is void.

Last edited:
Have you considered peeking at a math french/english dictionary at some library?

This thing exists?!

How do you define "cluster point"?

If {x_n} is a sequence in a metric space M, then a clsuter point of {x_n} is a point a of M such that there is a subsequence of {x_n} converging to a.

Soit E un espace topologique. A une partie non vide de E, et aE. On dit que le point a est un point d'accumulation de A s'il est adhérent à A sans être isolé dans A. Autrement dit, a est un point d'adhérence de A-{a}.

Exemple : A=[0,1[, 1 est un point d'accumulation.

Si E est un espace métrique (en particulier un espace vectoriel normé), on montre facilement que les points suivants sont équivalents :

a est point d'accumulation de A
il existe une suite injective de points de A convergeant vers a.
tout voisinage de a contient une infinité de points de A.
Ceci montre en particulier que l'ensemble des points d'accumulation de A est un fermé.

Taken from DicoMath (french website)

I don't see how this helps but nice site, thx.

1. What is a cluster point in French?

A cluster point in French refers to a geographical area where a large number of French-speaking people reside. It can also refer to a specific point or location within a city or town where French culture and influence is prominent.

2. How is a cluster point different from a French-speaking country?

A cluster point is different from a French-speaking country in that it is a smaller, more concentrated area rather than an entire country. It is often used to describe neighborhoods or districts within a city.

3. What are some examples of cluster points in France?

Some examples of cluster points in France include the Latin Quarter in Paris, the Vieux-Port in Marseille, and the historic center of Strasbourg. These areas are known for their strong French cultural influence and high concentration of French speakers.

4. Are there any other countries with significant cluster points of French speakers?

Yes, there are several countries outside of France with significant cluster points of French speakers. These include Canada (particularly in Quebec), Belgium, Switzerland, and parts of Africa such as Morocco and Senegal.

5. How does the concept of a cluster point relate to the spread of the French language?

The concept of a cluster point is important in understanding the spread of the French language. It demonstrates how French speakers have formed communities in different parts of the world and how the language continues to evolve and be preserved within these communities.