Dark Energy contribution to plasma temperature in galaxy clusters?

Suekdccia
TL;DR Summary
Dark Energy contribution to isothermal temperature of plasma in clusters of galaxies?
I have a question about this work called "Dark energy and key physical parameters of clusters of galaxies"*There, towards the end, the authors talk about the isothermal velocities and tempreature parameters of the gas and particles circulating between galaxies in clusters. In particular they calculate the isothermal plasma temperature (equation 37)I can note there is a contribution from a dark energy parameter in that equation (the cube root of the dark energy density value is present in the equation, which should give a large number as the dark energy density in space is small). I tried to ask the authors themselves, but they only told me that "*Temperature is defined from virial relation. It contains Dark Energy due to its antigravity*"Does it mean that dark energy contributes to the value of that temperature? Does dark energy help to increase the value of that temperature?* https://arxiv.org/abs/1206.1433

Space news on Phys.org
Suekdccia said:
Does it mean that dark energy contributes to the value of that temperature?
Do you understand what the authors meant by "temperature is defined from virial relation"?

PeterDonis said:
Do you understand what the authors meant by "temperature is defined from virial relation"?
That the temperature is given by the virial theorem. If so, particles would reach a maximum turn-around radius and then fall into the overdensity and the potential energy would be transofrmed into kinetic energy. But how can dark energy contribute to this?

Suekdccia said:
That the temperature is given by the virial theorem.
Yes. And where does the virial theorem come from? How is it derived?

Suekdccia said:
If so, particles would reach a maximum turn-around radius and then fall into the overdensity and the potential energy would be transofrmed into kinetic energy.
No such thing has to happen for the virial theorem to apply. The virial theorem relates the time averages of potential energy and kinetic energy (and the latter is in turn directly related to temperature).

Suekdccia said:
how can dark energy contribute to this?
By modifying the potential energy. Looking at how the virial theorem is derived should make this evident.

PeterDonis said:
Yes. And where does the virial theorem come from? How is it derived?No such thing has to happen for the virial theorem to apply. The virial theorem relates the time averages of potential energy and kinetic energy (and the latter is in turn directly related to temperature).By modifying the potential energy. Looking at how the virial theorem is derived should make this evident.
Mmmh that is what I was thinking, if dark energy modifies the potential energy (presumably making it larger, as particles would be less bound and could reach a higher distance) then kinetic energy should be greater as well and thus temperature increases.But the authors themselves say in this paper (https://arxiv.org/abs/1109.1215, sections 3 & 4) that the potential energy (and therefore the kinetic energy) is decreased in the presence of dark energy (because when things fall into the overdensity, dark energy affects the gravitational pull, thus reducing the energy) so according to this, temperature should be lower (as kinetic energy is also reduced because there is less potential energy). This is what I don't really understand

Suekdccia said:
if dark energy modifies the potential energy (presumably making it larger, as particles would be less bound and could reach a higher distance)
"Larger" in the sense of "less negative", yes. But the virial theorem says that the time average of the kinetic energy is (half of) minus the time average of the potential energy. So a larger, i.e., less negative, potential energy means a smaller kinetic energy because of the minus sign.

PeterDonis said:
"Larger" in the sense of "less negative", yes. But the virial theorem says that the time average of the kinetic energy is (half of) minus the time average of the potential energy. So a larger, i.e., less negative, potential energy means a smaller kinetic energy because of the minus sign.
But then here what I understand is that dark energy ultimately reduces the kinetic energy, which should then reduce the temperature, not increase it (dark energy density seems to contribute to the temperature of the gas in the paper that I cited in my original question, so a larger dark energy density should mean that the isothermal teperature is larger as well)

If you look at eq. 37 (https://arxiv.org/abs/1206.1433) and you assume a larger value for dark energy density then the temperature increases not decreases

Last edited:
Suekdccia said:
what I understand is that dark energy ultimately reduces the kinetic energy, which should then reduce the temperature, not increase it
It reduces the temperature compared to a system that is otherwise the same, but without the dark energy. But that is not what is being done in the section of the paper where eq. 37 appears.

Suekdccia said:
If you look at eq. 37 (https://arxiv.org/abs/1206.1433) and you assume a larger value for dark energy density then the temperature increases not decreases
Yes, but this equation is not comparing a system with dark energy to an identical system without dark energy. So it is irrelevant to the comparison you have been asking about. To put this another way, eq. 37 is not giving the "contribution of dark energy" to the isothermal plasma temperature, which is what you have been asking about. It is just giving the overall temperature taking all contributions into account.

What eq. 37 is doing is assuming that the gravitating system is the maximum size that it can be based on the dark energy density; this size is called ##R_\Lambda## earlier in the paper. But that size decreases as the dark energy density increases; see eq. 6 in the paper. In fact, if we use eq. 6 to rewrite eq. 37 in terms of ##R_\Lambda##, we get

$$
T_{iso} = \frac{m}{3k} \frac{M}{R_\Lambda}
$$

In other words, as the dark energy density increases, the maximum possible size of the bound system gets smaller, which means it is more compact, and a more compact gravitating system will have a higher temperature.

1. How does dark energy contribute to the plasma temperature in galaxy clusters?

Dark energy does not directly contribute to the plasma temperature in galaxy clusters. Instead, dark energy is believed to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe, which indirectly affects the evolution and dynamics of galaxy clusters over cosmological timescales.

2. Can dark energy cause an increase in the temperature of plasma within galaxy clusters?

Dark energy itself does not cause an increase in the temperature of plasma within galaxy clusters. The temperature of plasma in galaxy clusters is primarily influenced by processes such as gravitational heating, shock heating, and radiative cooling, rather than the presence of dark energy.

3. Is there any evidence to suggest that dark energy directly impacts the temperature of plasma in galaxy clusters?

As of current scientific understanding, there is no direct evidence to suggest that dark energy has a direct impact on the temperature of plasma in galaxy clusters. Dark energy's effects are primarily observed at the cosmic scale, influencing the overall expansion of the universe.

4. How do scientists study the relationship between dark energy and plasma temperature in galaxy clusters?

Scientists study the relationship between dark energy and plasma temperature in galaxy clusters through observational data, simulations, and theoretical models. By analyzing the distribution of galaxy clusters, their temperature profiles, and the large-scale structure of the universe, researchers can infer the role of dark energy in shaping the evolution of galaxy clusters.

5. Could dark energy play a role in the heating or cooling of plasma within galaxy clusters?

While dark energy is not directly involved in the heating or cooling of plasma within galaxy clusters, its influence on the cosmic expansion can indirectly impact the thermal evolution of galaxy clusters. Understanding the interplay between dark energy and other physical processes is an active area of research in cosmology and astrophysics.