Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is forward-backward assymetry, charge assymetry?

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1
    Hello!

I am studying particle physics. While reading the papers I realized that many authors of papers regarding the search for Odderon refer to "forward-backward assymetry", "charge assymetry". However, all my attepms to find a good description and definition of mentioned assymetries failed without a hint of success. Intuitively I understand that it should be a kind of "angle distribution" (for different charges it would be different probably?).

If you have learnt anything about the assymetries could you please explain them to me.
    Thank you :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"forward-backward assymetry" can be with respect to a beam dilrection or the flight direction of a decaying particle. F-B symmetry would be when
    there is no difference between event in the forward hemisphere than the backward hemisphere. Asymmetry is when there is a difference.

"charge assymetry" can have several meanings.
    In nuclear physics, charge symmetry meant that there is no difference between n-n interactions and p-p interactions.
    I don't think that's waht you mean now.
    In your context, it probably refers to more + particles than - particles from a neutral decay (or vv).

4. Mar 7, 2006 #3

arivero

Gold Member

The point is, why is forward/backward assymmetry important in Z0 decays?

5. Mar 7, 2006 #4

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would probably indicate parity nonconservaton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?