What is ft/100ft and how does it relate to calculating head loss in pipes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
TSN79
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
I have an equation for calculating head loss in pipes, and the result comes out as ft/100ft. I don't understand this unit, as I was expecting a unit more in the form of Pa, psi, or something to that effect. If someone can explain it to me I would appreciate it :-)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The units are in terms of head loss per 100 ft of pipe, not pressure drop. Since it is head instead of pressure, the units are a length per length of pipe. It does look a bit weird, admittedly.
 
looks like a typing error, if it is ft/100ft then the ft will cancel out to get 100, the head loss to me sounds like a rate of something, so I would say it should be psi/100ft if you are using those types of units, this is what I think anyway
 
It's not a typing error. It's a perfectly sensible unit, especially if you want to decide, for instance, how high to place a storage tank for a gravity feed.

To convert to Pa per 100 ft. of pipe, multiply the given number by 1000(kg/m3)*9.8(m/s2)*0.30(m/ft).
 
i've never seen that used before, must be because I am english or because I am thick lol I apologise for my false statement before