What is it like to become a new dad at an older age?

  • Thread starter Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
23 replies · 6K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
7,643
Reaction score
1,602
I'm way too old for this, but I became a new dad yesterday. Mother and daughter doing well. Father terrified.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh so GREAT! Best CONGRATULATIONS!

Picked a name yet. Weight and length?

Props to the mom, and welcome to the world of poopy diapers and screams at 2 AM.
 
Congratulations! Wishing you and your family all the best.
 
Thats wonderful news! Congratulations..when will you sign her up for her own PF account?
 
George Jones said:
I'm way too old for this, but I became a new dad yesterday. Mother and daughter doing well. Father terrified.

You wouldn't be my physics teacher by any chance? :rolleyes:

He just had a daughter as well.

Anywho, congratulations :)
 
So... who do you suspect? :rolleyes:

Seriously, that's great George. Congrats.
 
George Jones said:
I'm way too old for this, but I became a new dad yesterday. Mother and daughter doing well. Father terrified.
Hearty Congratulations! All the best to baby daughter, mom, you and anyone else in the household. :smile:
 
George Jones said:
I'm way too old for this, but I became a new dad yesterday. Mother and daughter doing well.
Congratulations! That's great!

Father terrified.
:smile: At least you know where to send her when she needs help with her homework. :biggrin:
 
Woo Hoo! Welcome to the club.

(New meanings of the word "projectile" are forthcoming)
 
Thanks, everyone.

selfAdjoint said:
Picked a name yet. Weight and length?

Pareesa.

weight = 3050 grams = 6 pounds 11 ounces

length = 54 centimetres = 21 1/4 inches.

berkeman said:
Is this your first?

Yes.
 
daughters are so much better than sons. They love their daddies. It's awesome. Be prepared to be overwhelmed. I never thought I could love anything or anyone as much as I love my daughter. Although for the first four or five months she wasn't much fun.
 
George Jones said:
I'm way too old for this, but I became a new dad yesterday. Mother and daughter doing well. Father terrified.
Congrats George!
 
Congrats.

I was 43 when my last was born... for the most part it went pretty well... The worst was the blurry eyed morning when, along with an unhappy baby the coffee pot overflowed, spilling coffee and grounds all over the kitchen counter. Now I had a mess to clean up, a unhappy baby and worst of all no coffee.

I survived.
 
Thank goodness my little ones are grown, and they grew up without the usual childhood problems and rebeliousness. I guess my story to them when they were little about why in nature some mothers ate their young made an impression on them. :approve: Hey, it was a story my mother told to me. I was a very *good* kid. :bugeye:
 
winwizard3k said:
Congratulations! Endearing Daddy!

Integral said:
I was 43 when my last was born

Just a youngin'. :smile:

Dr Transport said:
Welcome to the club of sleepless nights

It's 4:45 am (Edit: make that 3:45; when I typed this, I was so bleary-eyed, I couldn't even read my watch!) my time (AST), and my little girl, now three months old, wants to play, not sleep.

Hey, it was a story my mother told to me. I was a very *good* kid.

I may need to use this ... and more - she's already a very stubborn girl. The mother says she gets this from the father; the father says she gets this from the mother.

Thanks again, everyone
 
Last edited:
Hey, one thing I forgot to mention. Babies are a validation of string theory and parallel universes, they have to be. In some parallel universe babies do not fill their diapers and ship it off to ours because I have found that more comes out of a baby into his/her diaper than goes in, in the first place.

They also have levitation skills that degrade with age because you'll find out no matter where you put something you think is out of their reach, they'll get ahold of it.