Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is meant by this notation?

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    when saying the probability distribution of X is f(x) = (3 x) this is to be like vector notation where 3 is above x but i can't write it like this here. what is meant by this notation ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a vecor-like notation for the number of combinations ("n over k") but I don't know if that's what you are referring to:
    $$\dbinom 3 x = {3!\over x!\, (3-x)!}$$(to me it seems a bit weird as a probability distribution...)

4. Mar 10, 2016 #3
    that's right thank you !
    i don't know why do they represent probability distributions by this notation

5. Mar 11, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This notation is commonly used for binomial distributions.

##\dbinom 3 x## is usually read as "3 choose x", the number of ways of choosing x items from a group of 3 of those items.

6. Mar 11, 2016 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes. It's the number of combinations of 3 things taken x at a time. It's usually read as "3 choose x."

7. Mar 11, 2016 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One problem with that interpretation of the notation is that the distribution function will not total 1. Is it possible that the definition of f(x) is missing a multiplier?

8. Mar 11, 2016 #7

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the definition of f(x)? The combination term is a coefficient of the probability term for exactly x.

9. Mar 11, 2016 #8

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The original post stated: "the probability distribution of X is f(x) = (3 x) ". If we interpret that as f(x) = 3Cx, then it does not total 1.

10. Mar 12, 2016 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I suspect that the OP is completely misreading what is said and that it really is something that involves [itex]\begin{pmatrix}3 \\ x \end{pmatrix}[/itex] such as the binomial distribution with n= 3, [itex]f(x)= \begin{pmatrix}3 \\ x \end{pmatrix} p^x (1- p)^{3- x}[/itex] for x= 0, 1, 2, or 3.

11. Mar 12, 2016 #10

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good catch. That has to be it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted