What is Method of Characteristics?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of method of characteristics and its application in fluid mechanics, specifically in designing a CD nozzle for a final year project. The speaker is a mechanical engineering student who has not been exposed to this method before and is seeking help in understanding it. They are advised to have a good understanding of multi-variable calculus and differential equations, and to refer to books such as "Lawrence Evans' PDE textbook" or "J.D. Hoffman's Numerical Methods for Engineers and Scientists". Another book recommended is "E.B. Wylie and V.L. Streeter's Fluid Transients" which contains a chapter on the characteristics method. The method of characteristics is also mentioned as a way to solve the Burgers equation
HollyFlame
(I am new to this forum so please do forgive me if I am posting at a wrong place.)

Hello,
I am a final year student of BS Mechanical Engineering and method of characteristics is not a part of our curriculum. In-fact I heard of it first time after finally picking my FYP. My final year project is to design analyze and manufacture a CD Nozzle which would achieve Mach 3. I was told by my supervisor that I would have to build the profile of the nozzle using method of characteristics because he wants the profile to be generalized so that every time the inlet condition changes, the profile changes automatically. My supervisor who himself is only a doctorate has never studied MOC himself so he can not help me. I want to know what it is and how could I start practicing it. Moreover what are the pre-requisites to start learning it. Any help would highly be appreciated.
Kind regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you don't need much besides multi-variable calculus and some exposure to ODEs. You can find out what it is by a google search or by reading a PDE textbook, such as the thorough but somewhat formidable one by Lawrence Evans. In the simplest case, we'd have a first order PDE of the form
$$\sum a_i(\mathbf{x})\partial_{x_i}u(\mathbf{x}) = 0$$
Then we consider the curves of constant ##u##, parameterized by ##t##. On the level curve ##\partial_t u = \sum \partial_{x_i}u \,\partial_{t} x_i = 0##. By the first equation this is satisfied if $$ \partial_{t} x_i \propto a_i(\mathbf{x}) $$. So this gives us a way to potentially solve for the curves of constant ##u##, and thus find the solution to the PDE. This is only a simple case, which is generalized for quasi-linear first order PDEs.

MisterX said:
I think you don't need much besides multi-variable calculus and some exposure to ODEs. You can find out what it is by a google search or by reading a PDE textbook, such as the thorough but somewhat formidable one by Lawrence Evans. In the simplest case, we'd have a first order PDE of the form
$$\sum a_i(\mathbf{x})\partial_{x_i}u(\mathbf{x}) = 0$$
Then we consider the curves of constant ##u##, parameterized by ##t##. On the level curve ##\partial_t u = \sum \partial_{x_i}u \,\partial_{t} x_i = 0##. By the first equation this is satisfied if $$ \partial_{t} x_i \propto a_i(\mathbf{x}) $$. So this gives us a way to potentially solve for the curves of constant ##u##, and thus find the solution to the PDE. This is only a simple case, which is generalized for quasi-linear first order PDEs.
Thank you for your reply. I have not studied multi-variable calculus, and I am not very good at differential equations. It seems I have to start fresh. Can you please recommend an outline for how should I begin this.

MisterX said:
MIT OCW has a multivariable course you can watch online.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02-multivariable-calculus-fall-2007/
You could try that or consider taking that course at your school.
I actually meant, what should I do after I have gone though Multi variable Calculas and DE. I have sniffed through various books on fluid dynamics in engineering library of our campus, and tragically none had any reference of MOC. Is there any book that specifically deals with this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:
HollyFlame said:
Thanks a lot for your help, I will try to get my hands on this book.
Forget Evans, this book is for advanced pure mathematicians, not for someone who only recently learned mutli-variable calculus. Since you are an engineer, I recommend you the book
J.D. Hoffman, Numerical Methods for Engineers and Scientists (2nd edition)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0824704436/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Despite the title, the book explains also some analytical methods. In particular, the method of characteristics is explained in simple terms, starting from the bottom of page 505.

Likes MisterX
HollyFlame said:
My final year project is to design analyze and manufacture a CD Nozzle which would achieve Mach 3.
Since you want to solve a problem in fluid mechanics, perhaps even more useful for you is the book
E.B. Wylie, V.L. Streeter, Fluid Transients
which contains a whole chapter on the characteristics method.

The method of characteristics is frequently taught as a method to solve the Burgers equation. The equation is a simple model wave equation. There is a ton of literature on the subject and a Google search of method of characteristics with burgers equation should produce a few introductory lecture notes.

What is Method of Characteristics?

The Method of Characteristics is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs) that describe the behavior of systems over time and space. It is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics.

How does the Method of Characteristics work?

The Method of Characteristics works by transforming a PDE into a system of ordinary differential equations (ODEs) that can be solved using standard techniques. This is achieved by following the characteristics, which are curves in the solution space that satisfy the PDE. By solving these ODEs, the solution to the original PDE can be obtained.

When is the Method of Characteristics used?

The Method of Characteristics is used when the PDE being solved is linear and can be written in a special form known as the characteristic form. It is also useful when the initial or boundary conditions are specified along a characteristic curve, making it easier to find the solution.

What are the advantages of using the Method of Characteristics?

One of the main advantages of the Method of Characteristics is that it can be used to solve a wide range of PDEs, including non-linear equations. It also provides a visual representation of the solution through the characteristics, making it easier to understand the behavior of the system being studied.

Are there any limitations to the Method of Characteristics?

Yes, the Method of Characteristics has some limitations. It can only be used for problems with well-defined initial or boundary conditions and may not work for all types of PDEs. It also requires a high level of mathematical understanding and can be computationally expensive for complex problems.